This Giving Tuesday, please consider donating to the Freedom’s Run GoFundMe.
Since 2009, our mission is to keep our community healthy, but we need your help. Donating to our page will ensure we keep providing these programs for the public, and create more programming and funding we can then share with other worthwhile organizations.
As a thank you, if you donate $50, we will send you a custom Freedom’s Run Buff or hat! After you donate, just be sure to leave a message with your mailing address, and we’ll be sure to get you the custom Buff!
C&O Canal Classrooms Education Program
West Virginia is often viewed as an unhealthy place to live. Much of this opinion, unfortunately, comes from real data. West Virginia is #1 when it comes to obesity and diabetes (CDC 2022) and #50 when it comes to trails. With an idea to change our state’s image and reverse these statistics, Freedom's Run was born.
Freedom’s Run was developed with the intent of putting on an event that gives citizens awareness of healthy living, promotes outdoor activity, and highlights the rich history of the area - an Event for Health and Heritage. A collaborative group between leads at the Eastern Area Health Education Center, WVU Health Sciences Center - Eastern Division, University Healthcare, the National Park Service, Shepherd University, local citizens and businesses, and Canal Towns Partnership, teamed to create Freedom's Run. Offering 5 events for all ages and athletic abilities - 1 mile kids fun run, 5K, 10K, Half Marathon, and Marathon.
Since 2009, Freedom’s Run, through the guidance of Eastern Area Health Education Center, has given over $230, 000 directly back to the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia as well as neighboring communities. We have assisted with matching grants to bring the total well above $350,000. But with your help we can fund even more projects.
Page Jackson Elementary School Trail
Some of the projects that have been funded through Freedom's Run Community Grant Funds include:
- Potomac Valley Audubon Society Nature Center
- Catholic Charities Healthy Head Space Program
- Shenandoah Community Health Fitness Trail
- Blue Ridge Primary & Elementary School Trail
- Brian O'Neill Jr. Foundation My Village Program
- Eastern Panhandle Indigo Children's Blue Ribbon Recreation Program
- For love of Children's Leaders in Action Program
- Antietam Battlefield's Civil War Day Camp
- North Martinsburg Middle School Trail
- SNAP Double Value Coupon Farm Market Program (in progress)
- T.A. Lowery Elementary School Green House Project
- Potomack Intermediate School Trail
- Tuscarora Elementary School Trail
- Ranson Elementary School Trail
- Driswood Elementary School Trail
- South Jefferson Elementary School Outdoor Classroom & Trail
- Page Jackson Elementary School Trail
-Cacapon Institute Tree Giving
- City of Charles Town trail plan
- Romney Fitness Trail
Summer Camp Projects at For Love of Children
Eastern Panhandle Indigo Children's
Blue Ribbon Recreation Program
North Martinsburg Middle School Trail, creative use of green paint
Some other donations that we have made through Freedom's Run Community Funds include:
- Shepherdstown Fire & EMS
- Washington's Way Heritage Alliance
- Jefferson County Deputy Sheriff's Association
- RRCA's Kids Run the Nation
- Mended Little Hearts of the Shenandoah Valley
- Shepherdstown Elementary School
- Girls on the Run of the Shenandoah Valley
- Jefferson Art Council's Art in the Park
- Elkins Middle School Field Trip to Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
- Antietam National Battlefield's Civil War Day Camp
With your support we can expand these projects to even more deserving communities, and reverse some of the effects of living in a statistically unhealthy environment.
For more information on Freedom's Run or to register please visit FreedomsRun.org.