This Spring, beginning March 7th, I have been invited to join an incredible cohort of individuals to obtain a Certification in Applied Positive Psychology! Positive Psychology is the science of well-being, success, and happiness, grounded in scientific research on what helps people build the psychological capacities that contribute to human flourishing. (Watch Positive Psychology founder Martin Seligman in his TED Talk below to find out more!) Study in this field has changed my life and work, and I am now going for a certification that will greatly impact my life professionally and personally.
This 6-month certification program is hosted through NYC's The Flourishing Center at The Impact Hub in Philadelphia, PA. It consists of 7 On-Sites that meet at The Impact Hub, and 17 Distance Learning Modules that meet virtually.
I am applying for an available scholarship and gathering funds as best I can, but need help with tuition and commuting expenses - so I am DREAMING BIG and putting myself out there to make it happen! If 225 people this message reaches have about $20 to share, I'll get there! Please take a moment to read my story below and contribute if you can - my deepest appreciation and THANKS for any kind of support you can offer!
Life is a journey filled with relationships - with self, with family, with friends, with colleagues, with community, and beyond. I've always been fascinated with people and relationships. Studying and investing in how people think, relate, communicate, create, love, learn, and grow has shaped my understanding of the world, of myself, and the kind of person I want to be and work I want to do in my life.
Studying and growing within the field of Positive Psychology has changed everything for me.
Beginning with a SOMO 101 class and then a 6 week MacroPod with SOMO Leadership Labs, facilitated by Positive Psychology mentor and CAPP program facilitator Louis Alloro, and with additional encouragement and collaboration with friend and recent CAPP graduate Paula Kampf, I have begun a new lifelong relationship with this field of study and how it informs my life's journey.
I have shifted from an old life paradigm based in SURVIVING to a new life-lens of THRIVING. My self-awareness, perspectives, perceptions, choices and behavior have all been directly influenced, some drastically shifted. This new lens affects every aspect of my life - I have implemented Positive Psychology and SOMO practices in all areas - as a wife, mother, friend, musician/theatre artist, business owner, collaborator, writer, and simply (and not so simply) just a person in the world. But I know I have barely scratched the surface - there is SO much more to know, and SO many more ways I can use Positive Psychology to enrich my relationships, business practice, and creative work, as well as my personal journey.
Earning this certification will:
- Directly inform this year's reorganization of our 8-year-old holiday event business, which will then affect the experiences of our 80+ annual employees and 20,000 annual guests.
- Fuel my re-embracing of my creative work in music, writing, and theatre, helping me to approach my work with openness, investment, and perseverance; to embrace and nurture this year's exciting new collaborations; and to carefully choose - and engage myself fully in - my future projects.
- Inform the development of an exciting new arts and wellness-focused community endeavor organized by artists, for artists, creating resources, third spaces, and a supportive network for local musicians, actors, coaches, and wellness practitioners.
- Enable me to continue to cultivate deeper, more meaningful relationships with my family, friends, and colleagues. This includes populating my Mom toolbox with wisdom and life skills to teach to my two young daughters, as they grow and learn what life is all about. Positive Psychology has helped me to see life as a wealth of POSSIBILITY instead of something to be survived or endured, and I want to actively pass that along to them, and be a consistent example of positive living in their everyday lives.
- Help me to maintain a loving, positive relationship with my authentic self and all that I am and will be, as I grow and change. All I have the potential to be and do can benefit from what I learn and implement from this program.
- Last but certainly not least, it will empower me with knowledge and skills to pass on to all of my circles of influence (You! People like you! People you know who could use a life shift!), so they can reap the benefits, as well!
Please consider helping me to reach my goal so I can afford the tuition and travel expenses necessary to dive into this program! We are all Change Agents, working toward a better, THRIVING future... and my participation in this program can't happen without a little help from my friends. So DREAM BIG with me if you can, and please know how incredibly thankful I am and will be for any contributions that come my way!
PSST ALSO! I will be blogging, documenting, and sharing reflections throughout this experience, so anyone can follow along with my journey and see the direct results of my studies!
- JEFF PANDORA
- CAPP SCHOLARSHIP (Halloran Philanthropies)
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more