My name is David McCoy and I am using gofundme.com to raise funds for my Dad Bruce McCoy. I never in my life thought I would ever have to do this. But life doesn't always go according to plan. He is dying and I am crying right now as I even write this.
He has "idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis" where basically his lungs are crystallizing from the top down.
Traditionally with this condition the lungs crystallize from the bottom up.
He will die unless...
He can get a double lung transplant to extend his life for realisticaly 3-5 years and maybe up to 10 years.
As of June 2014 Dr. Tristen Huie - from the Denver National Jewish hospital which is the world's foremost lung hospital said, "he was in Stage 2 and gave him 18 months at most to live."
Listen to My sister Mary "McCoy" Pearson below...
90 days to live...
Fast forward to 2 1/2 weeks ago after additional testing Dr. Tristen Huie said, "you need to get in to get a 'Double Lung Transplant' because your condition has gone Critical. I can only give you 90 days at most to live."
Currently his records have been submitted to Dignity Health in Phoenix, Arizona, Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and University of Wisconsin - Richland, Wisconsin.
Dr. Tristen Huie is hoping to have him in to one of those three institutes to get a "Double Lung Transplant" within the first half of January 2015.
- waiting in the city from whichever institute accepts him for 30-60 days until a set of lungs becomes available. (he has to stay within 100 miles or 3 hrs of institute)
- Surgery will be 12 hrs long.
- He will then be intubated (breathing machine) for 24 hrs.
- In ICU (intensive Care Unit) for 1-3 weeks depending on how recovery is going.
- In Regular Hospital Room for 1-3 weeks depending on how recovery is further going.
Bruce at his office "currently school principal" with oxygen machine.
Insurance will not pay for...
He doesn't have the money to cover the expenses of travel, hotel and food and neither do I or my siblings. My Dad and Mom live in South Dakota.
- Initial Flight, hotel and food to and from to one of these Institutes for initial testing. (7 days total)
- Flight back to Institute, hotel and food this time back to wait for the lungs to become ready for transplant. Hospital says he needs to be within 100 miles or 3 hrs from the institute waiting. (30-60 days total. He is waiting for evaluation to be put at the Top of the list. )
- Remain in area after discharged from hospital for 3 weeks because he has to come in for daily blood draws and tissue samples to monitor how lungs are taking. Food and Hotel. ( 21 days)
- Remain in area an additional 3 weeks for weekly blood draws and tissue samples to monitor how lungs are taking. Food and Hotel. (21 days)
- Everything ok at that point then he can fly home. Flight.
Best case scenario is 3 1/2 months and worst case scenario is 6 months the Institute says depending on how lungs are functioning before he can go home.
He Wants to Live
We want him to live. He has a wife, 3 sons and 1 daughter. All married so 1 son-in-law and 3 daughter-in-laws. He has 8 grandchildren who dearly want their grandpa to live.
Bruce attends his local Church in Custer, South Dakota in the beautiful Black Hills. He was an Elder at his previous Church before he moved.
He served his country through a number of years in the United States Army where he was a Military Policeman.
He also served the state of Nebraska as a Trooper on the Nebraska State Patrol.
He has helped thousands of kids through the schools he has been a principal at.
He is still currently helping kids as a principal even though he is on an "oxygen machine" that he has to carry around with him. He loves his country and loves everyone around him.
Please Act Today
What would you do if you knew that money was the only thing standing between your "Dad" and "Children's Grandpa's" chance at a full and happy life? What would any son or daughter or parent do?
We can't let this happen. We can't stand by and watch our Dad and Children's Grandpa lose everything he is, suffer unimaginable pain and frustration and ultimately die. What will we tell our kids - his grandchildren - in a couple months when the condition has taken over completely?
What would we tell ourselves?
Please help support our urgent - lifesaving mission. Every cent counts but even if all you can do is forward this link to as many people as you know - you will have our eternal gratitude. ;-)
Help us. Join us in our quest and then check back often to see how your contribution helped spark a miracle.
With your help Bruce will live years to come to spend with his loving wife, kids and wonderful grandchildren.
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts with all the gratitude - love and affection we could possibly offer.
Thank you - Thank you - Thank you...
Determined - hopeful and eternally grateful
David McCoy, Mary Pearson, Eric McCoy and Andrew McCoy ;-)
Bruce sitting in his favorite chair at his home.
DonationsSee top donations
- Noel Ford
- Noel Ford
- Noel Ford
- Noel Ford
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more