This fundraiser takes place on the unceded and actively occupied territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm(Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. This land was never ceded or surrendered and we MUST walk here respectfully as uninvited guests and settlers.
WE HAVE UPDATED THE GOAL TO 50K TO ACCOMMODATE THE LARGE NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS FROM OUR FIRST ROUND!
THIS FUNDRAISER WAS CREATED BY PEYTON STRAKER TO HELP BLACK AND INDIGENOUS PEOPLE MEET THEIR SELF-CARE AND HEALING NEEDS BY OFFERING NO-QUESTIONS-ASKED FUNDS WHENEVER AND HOWEVER THEY ARE NEEDED.
There is a glaring disparity when it comes to financial support that is offered online via mutual aid to settlers versus Black and Indigenous people. Not surprisingly, there is a noticeable difference in the amount of time it takes for Black and Indigenous people to meet their fundraising needs versus the time it takes for settlers. The messaging of these numbers is that our ability to care for ourselves matters less, is worth less. The BLM bios and lack acknowledgements are cheap if you cannot support us when we reach out for financial support, no matter the size of the goal.
We know that Black and Indigenous people in Vancouver have been mobilizing and organizing against white supremacy since forever. In particular, 2020 and 2021 have created an insecurity when it comesto capacity, mental health and financial stability. The mass mobilization for Indigenous rights and Black Lives Matter paired with a relentless pandemic that harms usdisproportionately has left many of us hanging by a thread.
This fund is an opportunity for NON BLACK AND NON INDIGENOUS SETTLERS to pay reparations where reparations aredue and support us in supporting the immediate self-care needs of our community here in so-called Vancouver.
The goal is small: we fundraise, we support community.
WHO CAN ACCESS THESE FUNDS:
ALL Black and Indigenous people in so-called Vancouver (** priority to queer, trans, Two Spirit and disabled people**)
WHAT CAN YOU USE THE FUNDS FOR:
ANYTHING you want! Therapy? Sure. A bottle of wine? Sure. New glasses? Sure. A manicure? Sure. Dog food? Sure. A Netflix subscription? Sure. THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS.
HOW IT WILL WORK:
* Funds have now surpassed the original $10,000 goal. As such, we will now be transferring available funds to a bank account for dispersement.
* Please be aware: You must have Intarac e-transfer or PayPal to accept funds.
* A brief but detailed registration form will be available to you in which you will be asked a series of questions about your identity and need in order to ensure that all funds be used appropriately by the designated community (Black and Indigenous people from Vancouver).
* You will be able to request a specific amount between $25-$1000 based on your need and will be asked to provide a short description of how these funds will be of use to you. Funds are limited and therefor we ask you to be extremely mindful when requesting a specific amount. Please take into account your level of need and ask with other communities members in mind. We want this fund to help as many Black and Indigenous people in Vancouver as possible for as many purposes as possible.
* Funds can be claimed by anybody who is Black and/or Indigenous from vancouver who identifies a need in their life for a small financial boost or access to self-careand healing activities, whatever that means to you individually. You may share the funds you recieve with other Black and/or Indigenous people in your life as needed. We will NOT ask for receipts.
* Please share this opportunity with yourrelatives and friends who may not have access to social media or mutual aid otherwise. You may help them fill out the form.
* FUNDS WILL BE GIVEN OUT ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS. It’s no hard feelings. Just get it while it’s hot ok!
* @etthendel on Instagram will post an announcement about when the registration link will be made available. Once the date/time is announced please mark your calendars. At the designated date/time a link will go live in @etthendel’s bio. We will not hold any funds for any person in order to maintain fairness.
* Funds will be dispersed on a continual basis until the fund is depleted.
If you have any questions, please feel free to DM Peyton via Instagram @etthendel.
PLEASE SHARE FAR AND WIDE.
DonationsSee top donations
- Michelle Marcus
- Shaunn Watt
- Elizabeth Staal
- Lewis Seagram