to KUMed from Liberty Hospital and spent 15 days in KU-NICU. Once stable enough, I was sent to inpatient rehab for almost two months. From there, I transitioned to outpatient rehab to participate in physical and occupational therapies.
The major events on my path to recovery include:
1) Removal of a trach but needing a bi-pap machine for obstructive sleep apnea.
2) Using a walker to assist in walking, to progressing to being able to walk with a cane at a Sporting KC game, back to needing support walking with my cane at home.
3) Dealing with post stroke central pain syndrome, which for me, consists of continuous muscle spasms and burning sensations from head to toe on the left side of my body.
4) Becoming hyper-sensitive to sounds and airflow around me.
5) Dealing with double vision, nystagmus , and nystagmus. In both eyes.
6) Surgically implanting an intrathecal pump which is used to send baclofen throughout by body via a catheter in my spine distributing via spinal fluid in hopes to minimize my muscle spasms.
7) Dealing with sciatica in my left leg.
Every day is a struggle in some way, but I refuse to give up. I continue to do therapy and look at all sources to aid in my recovery.
I have made a promise to Ashley: I WILL kick the ball with her again. I've also promised my wife that we will take a walk holding hands.
Currently, I am looking at stem cell therapy as well as a center that focuses on neuroplasticity, the ability of the brain to relearn.
Both are alternative therapies that have shown to be effective in helping stroke recovery. Both are costly and insurance considers them "experimental" and won't contribute. I'm asking for a helping hand in honoring my promises with my girls. This does not come easy for me in asking for this but we can't do this financially on our own. Any donation is greatly appreciated.
- JD and Susan Franks
- Craig Marler
- Jesse Burwell
- Karissa Shores
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more