Save the Mugar Wetlands
East Arlington, MA, residents have filed suit to prevent the construction of Thorndike Place, a massive four-story rental building and townhomes, in proximity to documented wetlands and floodplain. With no direct access to Mass Ave or Route 2, all traffic will empty onto Lake St.
Arlington Town Meeting and the Select Board do not support this development and have worked for decades to protect this parcel. Neighborhood residents have spent approximately $18,000 in legal fees and need to raise an additional $50,000 to prepare and present our case in court. Sarah Greenlaw-Quinton serves as treasurer for the Coalition’s fundraising team. She will pay the bills directly to our lawyer.
Here is what you can do:
• Contribute to the legal fund through this GoFundMe site
• Stay informed:
o Follow us at www.Facebook.com/saveourwetlands
o Subscribe to the Coalition email list to receive updates
• Spread the word by talking to your neighbors and forwarding a link to this site https://www.gofundme.com/f/9vw9k-save-the-mugar-wetlands
What’s at Stake:
• Increased Flooding - Wetlands are a critical stormwater buffer and absorb excess water. This huge complex would be like standing on a “wet sponge”, with excess water running into the surrounding neighborhoods.
• Increased Traffic - Excessive traffic on narrow neighborhood streets which empty onto and further overwhelm Lake Street.
• Thorndike Field - More flooding means fewer days that this is usable space for town sports.
• Increased costs - For maintaining or upgrading the local sewage system and other Arlington town services.
• Open Space - Loss of one of the last, large open spaces in Arlington.
• Environment - The wooded area between Dorothy Rd. and Rte. 2 is home to deer, coyotes, and other wildlife, and frequently visited by bald eagles. Old trees absorb water from the wetlands and provide a noise buffer to the highway.
Supporters of the Coalition to Save the Mugar Wetlands:
• Mystic River Watershed Association
• Arlington Land Trust
• League of Women Voters of Arlington
• Arlington Open Space Committee
• Arlington Soccer Club
• Friends of Spy Pond Park
• East Arlington Good Neighbor Committee
• The Friends of Alewife Reservation
• Belmont Citizens Forum
DonationsSee top donations
Become the first supporter
Your donation matters
Fundraising team (5)
Raised $3,255 from 14 donations
Raised $4,450 from 10 donations
Brid M Coogan
Raised $30 from 2 donations