Looking back over this past year, life has dramatically changed.
Nick was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2006, just after his 27th birthday. We are now almost 13 years into this journey. Since 2006, Nick has undergone 2 biopsies, 1 craniotomy, motor mapping of the brain, implantation of a VNS device to control seizures, 5 cumulative years of chemotherapy and 2 complete cycles of radiation. We have experienced infertility, pregnancy & 2 adoptions. It’s been quite a ride!
Spring of 2017 we welcomed our youngest son, into the world through the gift of adoption. Meanwhile, the MRI showed the margins of Nick’s tumor beginning to expand. In consultation with our team of doctors from two local hospitals, we decided to take the recommendation of re-radiating the tumor. Nick had a small amount remaining of his “lifetime dose,” so that was stretched out and administered across six weeks. Radiation concluded around Labor Day 2017.
After the biopsy in March 2018, there has been continued decline. Nick began another drug, technically a chemotherapy, which had been shown to alleviate some effects of radiation necrosis. By May 2018, he was using a walker to help steady himself, however, with continued loss of sensation on his right side, he was unable to feel the walker in his right hand and it became difficult to grasp, so we moved to a multi-pronged cane. We also began occupational, speech & physical therapy.
We have set up this Go Fund Me page to help with the costs associated with a long term illness. Here are our expenses currently:
• Decrease in salary due to short term disability (loss of 1/3)
• Speech Therapy, Physical Therapy & Occupational Therapy twice per week for 24+ weeks, Therapy Sessions - must be paid out of pocket now - $200-$250 per 1 hour session
• Membership to indoor pool to continue to build muscle strength with Physical Therapy programs
• Leveling the driveway (now a tripping hazard) - $3,000+
• Childcare costs - as needed
• Travel Expenses - travel to North Carolina 3-4 times per year - $1600 per trip
• Household Services - Grocery Delivery, Lawn/Snow Services, House Cleaning Service - to ease Jen's load
• Legal Services - to draw up Power of Attorney and a Will.
There are several things I can put a price tag on, such as out of pocket therapy sessions, hiring a lawyer to draw up a will and power of attorney papers, leveling the driveway, but so many more needs will arise that I can’t possibly foresee now.
We come humbly before you to ask for your financial support . As you can imagine, all of this takes a significant toll on all aspects of life, not the least of which is the bank account.
We invite you to visit our web site: www.oceanoftrust.com
where updates are made regularly.
Jesus we trust in You.
P.S. We are grateful and appreciate all donations, would you kindly consider including the 3% processing fee when making your donation.