This project was conceived during my 2017 and 2018 SIM residencies in Reykjavik, Iceland. I was inspired to write the Indigo Iona Saga and Expedition Greenland scripts after seeing the "Bundle-Up In Blue" exhibition at National Museum of Iceland, which was of a Scottish Viking woman's skeletal remains and grave goods which were found in the East of Iceland in 1938.
With the first batch of money raised, I returned to Reykjavik for my July 2018 SIM residency, during which time I auditioned and selected Icelandic actresses and recorded them narrating the script. We also filmed some spectacular live action (with a drone and in 4K video) of key locations and photographed stills of the actors and actresses in period costume for the animation process.
In 2018 and 2019 I completed 84 animations for the Indigo Iona Saga. In May of 2019 and met with archaeologists, Michèle Hayeur-Smith and Kevin Smith who consulted on the content as they contributed research to the "Bundle-Up In Blue" exhibition at National Museum of Iceland. With their help I replaced certain animation to create more accurate representations of costume, weapons, houses etc...
During the summer of 2020, I completed the script for the sequel Expedition Greenland. Since the beginning of December 2020 I have completed act one, the first third of the animations.
As we did not get our production funds in 2019 from the arts councils we still need financing to complete the final live action, the off line edit, sound design, music, special effects, a trailer and update our website. https://vimeo.com/297574547
My SIM residency for June 2020 was cancelled due to COVID-19 travel restriction and has been moved to September 2021. I will attend if travel and vaccine permit me to do so. During my residency I will complete the live action filming for both films with my DOP Lasse Lecklin and present the graphic novel version of the films to a publisher in Reykjavik.
We are still looking for the following production costs :
- $1000.00 For return travel to Reykjavik, Iceland September 1st - 30th 2021
- $3000.00 Food and car rental during shoot and residency
- $1000.00 Pay for residency fee at SIM in Reykjavik for 4 week period
- $2000.00 To hire Director of Photography Lasse Lecklin for one week to film remaining live action in Iceland during my SIM residency
POST PRODUCTION 2022
- $6000.00 To hire Jo Meuris to stabilize animations and do all VFX (special effects)
- $6000.00 To hire editor Vuk Stojanovic for off line edit (both films)
- $3000.00 To create sound mix and design for for edit Stacy LeGallee (both films)
- $2000.00 To license music for sound track Stina Agustsdottir (both films)
- $600.00 two film trailers(both films)
- $1000.00 Update website http://www.theindigoionasaga.com
- $1000.00 Created Expedition Greenland website
- $1600.00 Graphics and promotional materials Studi Tag Team Jessica Charbonneau (both films)
- $1000.00 Send to festivals (both films)
- Sell license and distribute both films to libraries, schools, museums in Norway, Iceland and Scotland.
Once we have assembled this material for a first rough edit at MacLeod 9 Productions. We will do the post-production phase, the on-line, colour correction, sound mix and credits will be done at the new ONF-NFB facility the new Balmoral building.
As a filmmaker and artist, I am interested in knowing more about my female ancestors via the sagas, history, archaeology and migration patterns of the Vikings in order to examine the sage knowledge that can be gleaned from their lived experiences and history. Studying and sharing their stories, is an opportunity to become knowledgeable of the negative outcomes of war, exile, slavery, religious differences, famine and equally their successes to the greater world narrative of women’s contribution to the building of families and society as a whole.
These two films will be sold to schools, museums and exhibited in festivals, galleries, on TV and accompanied with educational guides for teachers, students and the public. The University of Iceland and Brown University in Rhode Island have committed to showing the work on completion.
$50 Contributors will get a signed print of an animation drawing.
$100 Contributors will get a signed print of an animation drawing and your name will be in the credits.
$1000 + Contributors get an original animation drawing and a producer credit.
I am committed and passionate about completing the "Indigo Iona Saga and the Settlement of Iceland" and "Expedition Greenland."
Thank you for your interest and support.
G. Scott MacLeod
DonationsSee top donations
- David Astrof
- Nancy Stewart
- Shaun Fawcett
- Nancy Stewart
- Deena and Max Apel/Beer
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more