From 29 June 2021 onwards, if you want to make a donation to support our work, please visit the new campaign page.
Not all humanists across the world can live freely, in accordance with their values.
Many humanists and atheists are forced to live their lives “in the closet”, otherwise they risk discrimination, persecution, prison terms - or even death (be it from state-sanctioned punishment or vigilante violence).
When this happens, Humanists International is here to help.
Every week we receive many requests for help from humanists at risk from all over the world, particularly from Asia and the Middle East. In each of these cases we always give the best support and assistance we are able to.
The global Covid-19 crisis has dramatically affected the lives of humanists at risk.
Many are in prison with little or no access to medical assistance and exposed to the contagion. The poor conditions in many prisons, and disregard for their welfare, makes them all the more susceptible to contracting the virus.
There is clear and growing evidence of the targeting of humanist and atheist activists on the basis of their rejection of a majority religion or their promotion of humanist values, such as human rights, secularism, critical thinking, and democracy.
Humanists International has a track record of success:
- Since 2012, we have published the Freedom of Thought Report , the only global report focused on the treatment of humanists and atheists;
- Our work has been cited by many UN Officials, experts and other authorities around the world;
- Thanks to our intervention, and the support of our Members and Associates, we have helped to secure the lives of dozens of humanists and atheists around the world.
We have big plans to ramp up the support we offer to humanists at risk in 2020, here are just some of these plans:
- We will ensure a quick response to all enquiries we receive from humanists at risk, aiming for a 24-hour response;
- We will hire the world’s only full-time Humanists at Risk Coordinator, to effectively manage the response of our whole network in a coordinated way
- We will launch a brand new Humanists at Risk Report, which will highlight the growing body of evidence of discrimination against humanists and atheists
But we cannot do this alone - and this is where you can help us to make the difference.
Please donate to the #ProtectHumanistsAtRisk campaign.
(You are donating to Humanists International is a Scottish (UK) charity no. SC050629. Donations to Humanists International are eligible for GiftAid from UK taxpayers, however we are not currently set-up to process them. Please contact us for more information.)
DonationsSee top donations
- Adam Bowen
- Binyamin Biber
- Susan Maseko
- Ingunn Elisabeth Meland