Surgery For Delta

Update 4/15/14 Delta's chest xray was clear and they went ahead with the mandibulectomy. The tumor had already spread to the other side of her jaw so she is missing the entire front to just behind where her canines were. This means she needs a longer recovery and it may take longer to learn how to eat again. She is home and acting normal. Trots around outside and eats hamburger from my palm. She doesnt even seem to realize exactly why she cant pick things up with her mouth. With as rare as this cancer is, and even rarer for a puppy, Delta's jaw will be researched in a study back in Wisconsin. As long as they can confirm clean margins on what they removed, Delta should live cancer free with no chance of recurrence. ------------------------------------ Update 4/10/14 Biopsy results say Delta has Papillary Squamous Cell Carcinoma. The tissue and jaw bone that have been invaded will need to be removed. First they need chest xrays to make sure it hasnt already metastasized in her lungs. Surgery scheduled for Tuesday. ------------------------------------ Update 4/8/14 Dr. Khoem decided her whole jaw could not be saved at this point. Her tumor has spread far too much in the last 8 days. The second biopsy will also test bone and tooth in order to find out what type of cancer we are dealing with and how much of her jaw needs to be removed in the next surgery. We should hear within the next couple days. -------------------------------------------------------------- Delta has developed a tumor in her mouth. They think it is due to an impacted canine but the doctor, Dr. Khoem at Sierra Vet Specialists, wont be sure until he can cut out and biopsy most of it and maybe remove any affected teeth. Her 1st surgery is scheduled for April 8th and the results of her 2nd set of xrays and biopsy will tell us if she needs another surgery to remove part of or all of the right side of her jaw. Zack and I are already $700 in to just having her diagnosed and this 1st surgery is estimated to be between $2000 and $2800. I dont expect donations to get us all the way there but any little bit would greatly help. Thanks! Update 4/8 Dr. Khoem decided the jaw could not be saved at this point. The second biopsy will also test bone and tooth in order to find out what type of cancer we are dealing with

  • Lucas 
    • $40 
    • 85 mos
  • Karen Carlson 
    • $40 
    • 86 mos
  • Kali Graham 
    • $50 
    • 86 mos
  • Jennifer Lupinek 
    • $20 
    • 86 mos
  • Ashley and Alex Bustamante 
    • $15 
    • 86 mos
See all

Organizer

Mary Britton 
Organizer
Reno, NV
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more