In Carter's Corner......
Carter Isaac Durham was born 8/26/13 to Mike and Kelli Durham. Kelli is a member of our Caviness and Cates Property Management team. Carter was unresponsive at birth and had to be fully resuscitated. He was transferred via helicopter to Duke University Medical Center. Formally, his primary diagnosis is Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE), which basically means brain damage due to restricted oxygen & blood flow. Carter was hospitalized for 2 months. The first 2 weeks were spent fighting to keep him alive; after that, the focus was trying to heal his body "from the neck down". His team of doctors said that even if he survived and they could heal the rest of his body, they didn't know what they could do for his brain. Since so much brain development occurs within the first few years of life, after birth, we decided we would live with that uncertainty for the time being and focus on healing him so he could go home. One therapy that we have started with Carter is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT). In HBOT, a patient undergoes a series of "dives" in a hyperbaric chamber in 100% oxygen. The oxygen floods the body and aids in healing and "waking up" tissue. HBOT offers potential healing for a broad spectrum of health concerns with very few potential negative side effects. In Europe, HBOT is utilized much more widely than in the United States. In the United States, there are limited "on label" (approved) conditions that are approved for use, but many insurance companies will not cover the treatments. Carter's insurance will not cover HBOT for his HIE diagnosis. The HBOT treatments are $150 each, and Carter goes 5 days a week! We have seen a number of differences in Carter since starting HBOT, and are committed to providing them for him for as long as necessary.
*Each event will run from 12PM - 4PM
1. Waterford Apartments 801 Shell Drive Spring Lake 28390 (910) [phone redacted]
2. Jamestown Commons Apartments 1429 Bozeman Loop Fayetteville, NC 28303 (910) [phone redacted]
3. Austin Creek Apartments 1131 Cape Harbor Court Fayetteville, NC 28314 (910) [phone redacted]
4. Grove at Park Place Apartments 2640 Latrobe Ave Fayetteville, NC 28304 (910) [phone redacted]
5. Hidden Lake Apartments 6406 Hidden Lake Loop Fayetteville, NC 28304 (910) [phone redacted]
6. South Main Apartments 4003 William Bill Luther Drive Hope Mills, NC 28348 (910) [phone redacted]
7. West Park Apartments 5600 Fountain Grove Circle Fayetteville, NC 28314 (910) [phone redacted]
****Please call for directions if needed. We will be happy to direct you!
DonationsSee top donations
- Bill Nye
- Autumn and Gabriel Oxford
- Deborah Gadpaille
- Patricia Marshall
- Clarissa & Daniel Thompson
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more