These superpowers were a beacon of light and inspired me to take the next step toward my long-term, professional goals. Children are like a puzzle, and I love piecing together their strengths, weaknesses and abilities to see the whole picture of each individual student. Teaching uniquely-abled children requires the same process with a few more pieces to their puzzle that work together a bit differently.
In 2019, I became certified to work with children who have learning differences and other special needs. The certification allowed me to take a leap of faith and start "Time to Shine" dance classes that are designed for the differently-abled dancer. These classes provide movement therapy along with tap, ballet, and jazz movements, and combined with their "superpowers," my students are able to express themselves artistically and in the most beautiful ways. "Time to Shine" dancers see growth in:
• Fine motor skills, focus, and social skills
• Body awareness, control, and coordination
• Strength, flexibility, and motor planning
• Imitation, imagination, and expressive language
• Memory and recall
I have watched this class bring so much joy to children and these dancers have flourished developmentally, physically and socially. They’ve formed friendships, built confidence, and developed teamwork. Parents' lives were forever changed, too! One of my favorite things to do is peek in the lobby and experience the strong community of support that the families provide one another. I have opened Miss Kim's Children's Dance & Arts which also serves as "Home to Time To Shine". I have big plans for these children, their families, and future students, and my mission is to:
• nourish a uniquely-abled child’s cognitive, physical, and emotional needs while providing social opportunities for them and their families.
• create a safe environment filled with appropriate design, tools, equipment, and sensory toys that will aid in their dance and movement experience.
• allow my “Time To Shine” dancers to attend classes at NO cost.
• provide a meeting & event space in Alamance County for special-needs groups.
Dance is a universal language and can make anyone feel joyful, extraordinary and special - despite learning differences or other special needs. Everyone deserves their “time to shine,” especially those little superheroes whose bright spirits flutter into our lives and create a lifetime of inspiration. As a longtime resident of Alamance County and a teacher of 30 years, I truly feel that this program and future studio can make a big difference in our community. Please do not hesitate to contact me with questions.
With love and a grateful heart,
DonationsSee top donations
- Stephanie Gunderson
- Rolfe DeShazor
- Jessica Johnson
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more