Due to an unforseen budget crisis at the local government level, Charles City County's school division in Charles City, Virginia has been directed to give over $430,000 dollars back to the county to help them pay their bills for the current fiscal year. These cuts are taking place immediately, with another round of cuts coming for next school year. As a small school system (enrollment 232 in high school, 714 in the county) this is a crippling amount. Due to these budget cuts, our students are going to suffer greatly in the form of instruction and programs. One of the programs being proposed to be cut is athletics and extracurricular activities. This category impacts nearly 50% of our student population. We recognize that instruction is the purpose for education, but also understand the impact that this will have on our student body and the affects to create well-rounded students. Due to this we are making a plea to anyone that would like to donate to save our athletics program.
A few things about our athletics program and school division:
- Nearly 50% of our student population is involved in athletics
- 72 of 88 honor roll students in the latest quarter were athletes
- Our last 6 valedictorians were athletes
- The top 5 academically ranked seniors are athletes
- 6 of the top 7 academically ranked juniors are athletes
- 8 of the top 10 academically ranked sophomores are athletes
- 5 of the last 7 years our football team has made the post season
- In 2011 our track team won the district championship.
- In 2012 our boys basketball team made it to the final 4 in the state tournament
- In 2013 our girls basketball team made it to the elite 8 in the state tournament
- In 2014 our girls basketball team placed 1st in Conference 42
The Panther family would like to thank you in advance for your generosity and support.
Charles City County files civil law suit against Waste Management: http://nkccnews. com/local-news/2014/02/19/ charles-city-files-civil- lawsuit-waste-management/
Charles City schools asked to return $436,000 in this year's budget: http://nkccnews.com/ local-news/2014/02/19/charles- city-schools-asked-return- 436000-county/
Charles City County makes first cut in $900,000 shortfall: http://nkccnews. com/local-news/2014/03/05/ charles-city-makes-first-cuts- 900000-revenue-shortfall/
Revenue shortfall causes town hall tension in Charles City: http://nkccnews.com/ local-news/2014/03/07/revenue- shortfall-causes-town-hall- tension-charles-city/
Supervisors blame trash for revenue shortfall: http://wtvr.com/ 2014/03/07/give-us-back-our- school-student-says-after- trash-threatens-teachers-jobs/
Athletics, substitutes, instruction materials among recommended cuts in Charles City: http://nkccnews.com/local- news/2014/03/08/athletics- instruction-materials- substitutes-among-list- proposed-cuts-cc-schools/
Trash threatens Charles City school system: http://wtvr.com/2014/ 03/07/trash-threatens-charles- city-teachers-jobs-school- programs/
Charles City schools must cut $436,000 immediately: http://www.wric. com/story/24920578/charles- city-county-schools-must-cut- more-than-400000-from-budget- immediately