Our oceans are fundamental to the future existence of our planet:
- 50-80% of the oxygen we breathe is generated by the oceans
- Oceans provide 80% of the planet's biodiversity
- 12.7 million tonnes of plastic waste are dumped into the ocean annually
- Over 800 marine species are at threat due to pollution
- Plastic takes 500-700 years to degrade
- Humans eat of 40lbs of plastic in their lifetime
We and future generations must understand the impacts of our actions, but this isn't easy when:
- 33% of British children have never had a coastal holiday
- 18% of British children have never set foot on a UK beach.
“Wouldn’t it be amazing if more young people could explore beneath the waves, see how beautiful the incredible underwater world really is and understand why the marine environment is so very, very important?”
WHAT IS DIVE PROJECT CORNWALL?
The DIVE PROJECT CORNWALL goal is to eliminate plastic pollution & protect the marine environment through in-class learning & ocean-based experience through scuba diving.
400 lucky teenagers from 20 schools across the UK will win a unique EXPERIENCE they will never forget: a 6-day trip to Cornwall where they will learn to scuba dive but will also learn about ocean conservation from leading marine industry experts.
Through exploration of our oceans, DIVE PROJECT CORNWALL starts in the classroom and finishes on the beach.
They will leave Dive Project Cornwall as ‘Ocean Influencers’ with their PADI Open Water Scuba Diving qualification. They will act positively to engage, inspire and motivate the next generation to save our planet.
Our educational materials have been developed in partnership with The Marine Conservation Society. They have a successful history of working with schools, creating content that can be delivered direct to the classroom.
We are partnered with PADI, Professional Association Diving Instructors & have two resident PADI dive instructors with a combined 20 years of experience.
We are partnered with Falmouth Marine School, delivering beach learning.
Leading dive brands Suunto, Fourth Element & Scuba Diver magazine also support our project.
HOW YOUR DONATION WILL HELP
Funding is needed to continue delivering the DIVE PROJECT CORNWALL programme into schools and ensure more children can learn and participate in this unique and exciting initiative. We need to:
- engage secondary schools to register; promote the dive week competition
- dive week staff costs for PADI dive instructors
- supply of oxygen tanks for both teens & instructors
- provision of meals & chef for each dive week
- maintain a safe & hygienic camp site for each dive week
We want 400 new Ocean Influencers to go on & inspire others to make positive changes to their plastic & waste usage habits, reversing the damage to our ocean environments so that future generations can enjoy.
Your donation will ensure vital marine conservation knowledge and experience are shared in an informative and engaging way that will help inspire these teens and help turn these lucky teens into our 'Ocean Influencers' of the future.
We don't underestimate your generosity in donating to DIVE PROJECT CORNWALL. Your gift, whatever the amount, will help us continue our unique education and experience programme and support our 400 lucky teenagers to learn about marine conservation excitingly and innovatively.