The time has finally come for me to begin fundraising for top surgery!
Here are the facts:
- I came out as transgender in February 2012. I began hormone replacement therapy in December 2013.
- I started binding my chest when I was 15 years old, and I have been binding my chest every day since I was 17 years old. Most trans folks who bind their chests experience chronic pain, and run the risk of doing permanent damage to their backs, shoulders, pectorals, lungs, and ribs.
- All transitional surgeries are crazy expensive. Most insurance companies don't cover most transitional surgeries, and most plastic surgeons don't accept insurance anyway. Top surgery, specifically, runs about $7,500.
- Surgeons performing transitional surgeries are few and far between. Dr. Garramone, the surgeon with whom I would like to work, is located in South Florida. Transportation and housing for 10 days stay totals around $3,000.
- $7,500 is more money than I made all of last year.
Here are my feelings:
- My back hurts and I'm over it.
- I keep wearing through my chest binders and I'm over that too.
- Top surgery is the next step necessary for me to live in my body happily and safely.
- I am surrounded by beautiful witnesses who consistently keep me on my feet, and now I need to ask every single one of you for help.
Here is my plan:
- Gather half of the total funds through GoFundMe ($5,000) starting NOW!
- Gather half of the total funds through one or more community events, including a performance and silent auction to take place in August 2014.
- Schedule consultations and all other necessary bookings in September 2014.
- Schedule my surgery date for January 2015.
Here is where you come in:
- I have under one year to come up with over $10,000. That means that literally any spare dollar you can contribute at any time is helpful! Don't be inhibited by the levels I have suggested. If $5 is what you've got to give, I will be grateful for it all the same! However, if you are able to give within these suggested levels, I will only reach my goal that much faster.
- Although the time for which I would like to schedule my surgery is still most of a year away, fees for appointments, deposits, etc. will accrue and approach their due dates well before this time, so fundraising has to start now!
- In order to continue providing this crowd-sourcing service, GoFundMe takes approximately 8% of each donation. Please keep this in mind when you make your contribution.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me via this site or email.
Thank you all for your love and support. And keep an eye out for information about the cabaret and silent auction this summer!
DonationsSee top donations
- Kim Christensen
- Meghan Kotz
- S Zieke
- Meg Kaiserin
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more