Logo for CaringBridge

In association with CaringBridge

Emmanuel Serrano-Perez Cancer Fund

     On Monday, May 15, 2017, after Mother's Day, I went to the hospital with a very strong headache, body weakness, and other symptoms.  For those who know me, for me accept to go to the hospital in an ambulance, I was definitely not feeling good at all. That night a CAT-Scan and MRI showed I had a big mass on the left side of my brain. The results showed a cyst-like mass that measured between 3-4 cm. On Friday, May 19, 2017, I had brain surgery to get the mass removed.  The surgery was a success and the doctors were able to remove the whole mass.  The biopsy results confirmed I had a high-grade glioblastoma (grade 4).      About two months after surgery, many calls to the insurance company, and more tests, I started treatment.  My treatment consisted of a combination of proton radiotherapy and chemotherapy, for 6 weeks, 5 days a week. Three weeks after I started my treatment, I started losing my hair, started feeling tired, and experiencing other symptoms related to the treatments.  One week before finishing my treatment, I started suffering from very strong headaches again and weakness, and ended up in the hospital again.  Seeing the doctors going back and forth with the results of the MRI and the diagnosis, trying to figure out whether the cancer was back or whether what they were seeing was brain inflammation, was very hard.  After much discussion, the radiation oncologist discarded recurrence of cancer and concluded that what they were seeing in the MRI results was inflammation due to the radiation treatment.  I finally ended my treatments and enjoyed a month free of these harsh chemicals and radiation.      After my break, I had another MRI and more medical appointments with both the neuro-oncologist and radiation oncologist. This new MRI post-treatment showed reduced brain inflammation and no necrotic tissue present, which was great news since this meant that I was cancer-free and the treatments worked.    In addition, I was also taking some medicinal herbal teas prepared by the "Yerberito" as a preventive measure. Unfortunately, on Monday, January 22nd, I had a follow-up appointment with the neuro-oncologist, and they confirmed that the cancer was back. They spotted a 1 cm mass in the same location as the previous mass. This time around, the mass had formed a hard shell around itself, making chemotherapy and radiation treatments ineffective. Right now, we're exploring several experimental treatment options to attack the cancer once more.    In the midst of these news, we're also struggling with our medical insurance, my potential return to work, finding care for our daughters (ages 3 and 1), and my wife working two jobs to try to keep us afloat financially. We're sharing our story in the hopes that you will pray for us, and if God moves you to do so, you can contribute financially to help us with our medical bills, as well as childcare for the girls. We are incredibly thankful for everyone who has helped and continues to help us through this difficult journey, and we'll continue to update you on my health as much as we can. Thanks, and God Bless!Nolo (Emmanuel)
  • Marilyn Rivera
    • $25 
    • 52 mos
  • Naveera Rashid
    • $25 
    • 55 mos
  • Vanessa M Rivera
    • $50 
    • 58 mos
  • Glenda Acost
    • $20 
    • 58 mos
  • Mayra Santiago
    • $100 
    • 58 mos
See all


Emmanuel Serrano Perez
Rahway, NJ

Your easy, powerful, and trusted home for help

  • Easy

    Donate quickly and easily.

  • Powerful

    Send help right to the people and causes you care about.

  • Trusted

    Your donation is protected by the  GoFundMe Giving Guarantee.