So, here is what I’ll be doing:
- Running 35K (22 miles) in Hong Kong’s KOTH mountain marathon (2,000 meters elevation gain)
- Continuing onward to complete 50k (31 miles), making this as an ultra in length
- Aiming to raise funds of 50k HKD (50km for 50k HKD), equivalent to ~$6,400 USD
And this is why:
to raise awareness and funds for
1) Elk Hill Farm*, a nonprofit youth treatment organization with a residential treatment group home for young men ages 13-17 located on a 250 acre rural campus in Goochland, Virginia. The purpose of this community facility is to strengthen and empower troubled youth through specialized education, vocational skill building, and a values-based program to address the effects of trauma, mental illness, poor family dynamics, and ongoing stress through a structured environment.
Learn more and read about some of Elk Hill's students' touching stories here: Success Stories
* Those of you that know me personally already know that my brother, Kevin passed away in 2005 at 18 years old after a terrible automobile accident. If you knew Kevin, you know he was hyper-charged (full of love but also full of hurricane-like energy), with behavioral challenges exacerbated by extremely difficult family dynamics and elevated stress during critical years. This made school and everyday social situations a nightmare of anxiety for Kevin. We are so grateful for the community at Elk Hill that took Kevin into their boys home at various points during his teens and helped him realize his best self - full of compassion, talent, and love. I’ll never forget the weekends I spent with him during visitation periods at Elk Hill Farm and I’ll forever appreciate all his teachers, counselors, and fellow buddies for everything they shared with him. But Kevin was not alone in his struggle; more than 14% of Virginia’s children have behavioral or mental health needs, and more than 60% of children fail to receive the services they need. Mental health crises are the second leading cause of hospitalization in kids.
2) Compassion Over Killing. This nonprofit is an animal advocacy organization working to end animal abuse, expose cruelty to farmed animals, and promote compassionate lifestyles. Beyond the acts of cruelty imposed on farmed animals, the use of animals in our diet is contributing to widespread human health epidemics (diabetes, obesity, heart disease, cancer) and accelerating both global warming and environmental destruction at unprecedented, dangerous rates. The livestock farming industry is the largest contributor to global warming – emitting a minimum of 15% of all greenhouse gas emissions. Raising animals for food is inefficient - requiring nearly 20x more water, land, and resources (e.g. gain, soybeans, corn) than would be used to feed humans on a plant-based diet. 70% of all grain grown in the world is fed to farmed animals to be killed and redistributed to consumers in richer countries – this is happening at a time when 795 million people in our global world are hungry and undernourished. The more meat we eat, the fewer people we can feed. Advocating for the reduction and elimination of animal-sourced foods is a win-win for everybody: our health, our planet, and those we share it with.
Learn more: Video: 2018 United for Truth, Justice, and Compassion (COK)
3) Charity: Water, tackling the most fundamental unmet need for more than 660 million people in the world: clean water. For people in developing countries, clean water can change everything given it is the ultimate prerequisite to an individual's basic rights of life; without clean water, how do you even begin to think about health, education, and employment to take care of yourself and your family? Nearly 1 in 10 people worldwide (663 million people) suffer from diseases from dirty water - killing more people every year than all forms of violence including war. More than 1,400 children (!) - mostly all under the age of 5 - die from disease caused by unsafe water and poor sanitation - every single day. We can change that. 100% of every dollar you give goes to build clean water projects using simple solutions like drilled wells, spring protections and BioSand filters that help provide clean water to communities in need. For as little as $30 USD - the cost of one night's dinner eating out or even just one week’s worth of coffees from your local cafe - you can provide an individual with access to clean water for perhaps the first time in their life, for the rest of their life. You can make that difference.
Learn more: Scott Harrison interview on why clean water changes everything
I'm eternally grateful that I have family, friends, and extended contacts that are willing to take the time to learn about these important causes and to spare change out of their wallets to those in great need.
Your donations make a difference. Please feel free to earmark any particular organization/cause that you feel strongly about and I will make sure your donation goes to your organization of choice. Otherwise, all donations will be split evenly.
All donation receipts will be uploaded here and shared with all contributors for your reference.
DonationsSee top donations
- Wendy Chan
- Derek Hafer
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more