Help Echo Brown Survive

I have known Echo Brown since 2006. I met her when she was a student in one of my programs. Since she graduated, we have been in touch, and I have watched her talents flourish intellectually, artistically, and as a person. If you met her, you would at once recognize how thoughtful, energetic, and vivacious she is. You would leave her presence feeling inspired, just as I’ve always felt every time we’ve connected. Included below are some links to her work, including a book she has published and a TED Talk as well. 

Just as she was hitting her stride in her career, in March 2020, Echo almost died from kidney failure. It was shocking, traumatic, and unexpected. Echo was in the hospital for almost three weeks, hoping her kidneys would recover, but they didn't. Echo has been on dialysis ever since and has been diagnosed with end stage renal disease, which means she will have to get a kidney transplant to survive. Dialysis is draining and brutal, but is saving Echo's life. 

In the United States, anyone with end stage kidney failure, can get Medicare, but Medicare only covers 80% of medical expenses. The other 20% is covered by the patient. With regular dialysis and medical appointments, the cost has risen quickly and after Echo receives her transplant, the cost of the surgery will be astronomical. 

Despite coming from extremely challenging circumstances, she has worked hard and been independent her entire life. I know she would never ask for help herself, but losing her health has been devastating, completely uprooting her life. She is currently writing another book, constantly tired from dialysis, and is unable to function normally until she gets a transplant. 

These are hard times for so many of us, but if you are able to donate to Echo's Gofundme, it would help her out so much. Anything is appreciated. Anyone of us could land in this position when everything falls apart and if you don't have family that can help you get through it, it's so hard to get back on your feet without help. Let's help Echo recover from this.

Thank you for considering this request. 

With Hope,
Sadhana 


More about Echo Brown

Echo Brown’s book, Black Girl Unlimited 

Echo Brown’s TED Talk

Donations

 See top
  • Brittany Beth 
    • $50 
    • 1 hr
  • Anonymous 
    • $100 
    • 21 hrs
  • Anonymous 
    • $40 
    • 1 d
  • Richel Cuyler 
    • $150 
    • 3 d
  • Anonymous 
    • $36 
    • 5 d
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Sadhana Hall 
Organizer
Lebanon, NH
Echo Brown 
Beneficiary
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more