On Saturday July 1st, 2017, around 9:30 pm Maggie, Aria and their family attended a annual family firework show. Approximately 3 quarters into the show an unknown defective firework box was lit with 16 cannons, and the first shot forever changed a families life. As Maggie and her 4 week old infant enjoyed the show that one cannon took an unexpected turn directly towards her and her baby. Sitting 50+ yards away from where fireworks were being lit off. As quickly as the firework took place in Maggie's lap she thought even quicker to remove her child from her lap and tossed her onto the blanket as the firework exploded in her lap. Causing her to catch on fire with serious injuries. Maggie was taken by ambulance and baby was air lifted, both taken to The University of Iowa hospital. Mother was taken into emergency surgery and baby was put into the burn unit. As of this morning Maggie is going in for her second surgery and baby Aria is going in for her first surgery. Maggie suffers severe trauma to both legs, and will need multiple surgeries. Aria is suffering with broken femur, multiple fractures, and burns. We have started this go fun me page to support this family during this tragic time. Any money donated will be spent towards bills, and living expenses since Maggie is unable to work due to injuries. Travis will also be out of work to take care of Maggie and Aria. Your support is greatly appreciated as we all know accidents occur, but no one wants to see it happen when it effects someone's life!
My name is Brittany, I'm from Cedar Rapids, IA
Travis and Maggie where our neighbors, before they moved to a bigger home as their beautiful family continued to grow!
- Ted Smith
- Jeff Blair
- Larry Ewing
- Hardisha White