Surgery To Remove Tumor

Hi my name is Dawn Hagen, I live in a small mountain town in Idaho called Cascade. I'm a single mother of 2 wonderful boys who at the time are living at home with me. Back in Feb 2013 I was diagnosed with a volleyball-sized fibrous tumor in my chestwall . I decided to go ahead and go through surgery at St Lukes Medical Center in Boise, ID in March that same year because of the damage the tumor has done at that point already ( collapsed left lung, pushed my heart to the right, shortness of breath, etc. ) it was suggested to get the surgery done asap . Needless to say, it was a failed attempt to remove the tumor as I was "bleeding out" because of how vascular it is so they had to stop the surgery. I had consulted with another surgeon at a different medical facility ( St Alphonsus )  that summer and we both decided for me to go through Radiation Therapy to see if that procedure would help in getting rid of the tumor or at least help shrink it and the many blood vessels to help aid in the next surgery to be performed by Dr. Fall at St. Al's in Boise, ID. After 5 weeks of continuous Radiation Therapy it was discovered it didn't help much in the reduction of the tumor, etc. At that point I decided to take a break from it all since the tumor didn't seem to be growing too fast, I just wanted to concentrate on my 2 boys who were still in high school at the time and see them through graduation before looking at any further surgeries, etc. In the past few years I have just tried living life as normal as possible and try not to think about my medical issue. As time went by and now both my boys have graduated from high school, I felt it was time for me to resume with the plan of attack with ridding my body of, as my dad (who passed away April 25,2017 and my mother April 20, 2017  RIP ) always called it, "the monster" who was so diligent on me having surgery at Mayo Clinic every time I would speak with him on the phone, now hopefully I will be able to go through with what he wanted for me all along.  I have in the past 3 weeks taken a few trips to Boise, ID to get blood & urine tests, CT Scans, etc. performed to see how my current condition is with this tumor and for them to refer me to the Mayo Clinic . Needless to say, it has grown since my last CT scans from a few years back and both physicians I have seen in that time recommended surgery and have referred me to my home state of Minnesota to be seen at the world renowned Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. So now my other concerns are, how am I even going to be able to get there let alone once I'm there the stay could be weeks or even months from the time I have my face to face consultation to when I have the surgery? I have no savings and won't be able to work of course during all this time and I'm looking at getting to MN from ID and back again, food & lodging while I'm back there, my recovery time and of course my share of the major medical bill that my insurance doesn't cover.! This is going to be a VERY RISKY surgery itself and has been weighing on my mind heavily let alone how I'm going to do all this financially not to mention my boys back home with me and how they are going to manage in all areas as well. I recently have been in touch with Mayo Clinic and have my consultation, tests, lab work set up for March 11, 2020 and with your generous financial help it would take a big burden off our shoulders and the boys and I can concentrate with what's on hand. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart ahead of time, every little bit of help is GREATLY appreciated whether through funding or by getting my story out there by SHARING through various social media platforms. Thank you & God bless~ Dawn, Skylar & Bailey


Dawn Lynn Hagen
Cascade, ID

Your easy, powerful, and trusted home for help

  • Easy

    Donate quickly and easily.

  • Powerful

    Send help right to the people and causes you care about.

  • Trusted

    Your donation is protected by the  GoFundMe Giving Guarantee.