At 2am on Sunday July 30th, 2017 a fire began in an adjacent apartment to our own. We woke up to neighbors yelling and banging on doors. Moments later black smoke began pouring into our apartment. We immediately ran out with only the clothes on or back and, in the case of our 4 month old daughter Ryan, a diaper and blanket. Luckily we all made it out safely and uninjured.
Though the fire was extinguished before it spread to our apartment we were the victims of the majority of the smoke damage. Soot and smoke residue cover everything we own. And though we may be able to clean/salvage some things all of Ryan's toys, furniture, and books are most likely ruined because we cannot risk her being exposed to any of the toxic residue or soot. (Plastics absorb too much of the smoke and cannot be salvaged)
As for Danielle and myself we will have to replace a majority of our things such as our matress, sectional couch, office chair, vacuum cleaner, and possibly all our wooden furniture (bookcases, dining room set, office desk, etc...). Our clothes and bedding should be fine after serious laundering. We've also lost 2 electric breast pumps, numerous kitchen appliances, and possible our electronics (2 TVs, 2 desktop computers, limited edition PS4, bluray player, and Canon printer)
We had just moved into the Sacramento apartment 7 days before from our previous home in LA and had yet to set up renters insurance. Meaning, though the fire was not or fault we will not be receiving any financial assistance to replace our lost items. Our apartment is currently unlivable and we are staying in a hotel room as we deal with the apartment complex and their insurance adjusters.
We are reaching out to anyone who wishes to donate because we have no other way to cover these unexpected costs and expenses. Danielle just started a new job in Sacramento and I am a stay-at-home dad but we still live paycheck to paycheck.
Ryan, Danielle, and myself thank you from the bottoms of our hearts!
- Jonathan Wong
- Lauren Montgomery
- Bridget Schinnerer
- Franklin Bigelow