Five households, including 12 adults and 4 children, have been displaced due to a massive fire the morning of February 4.
Thankfully, no one was injured in the fire. Many have lost everything and will need to repair their homes, purchase furnishings, appliances, clothing, and basic necessities in the near and long term.
The Kingman Park community is working together to provide relief for these families and taking action to prevent future house fires. ANC Commissioner, Tamara Blair, is working with a group of Kingman Park residents to go door to door to make sure everyone has working, updated smoke detectors in their homes. They will provide those without smoke detectors with information and resources to obtain free smoke detectors from local agencies. This will be an ongoing effort to educate the community on safe practices in the home to prevent fires. Join us in helping these families recover from their loss as they reside in temporary housing, rebuild their homes, and get back on their feet.
Thank you to the DC Fire and EMS teams that bravely stopped the fire and prevented it from spreading further and to the Red Cross for their assistance in the aftermath.
My name is Megan Kimmitt; I'm a resident of 24th St. NE and am in contact with my neighbors regarding this fund. I will be distributing the funds evenly to the five affected families to be used at their discretion.