Vidéothèque is moving!
In the immortal words of Groucho’s Captain Spaulding, “We must be going!” (Animal Crackers, 1930)
When it came time to renew our lease this summer, we were sadly unable to come to an agreement with the building owner. So after 20 incredible years on Mission Street, it is with much emotion and no small regret that we are packing up and moving to a new location.
Vidéothèque's new home is 4 miles down the road in Highland Park!
We can’t wait to welcome you to our spacious new home at 4102 N Figueroa St! This new location is two A (formerly Gold) Line stops away and a 10-minute drive southwest on the 110 fwy from where we are now. It's adjacent to Cypress Park, Lincoln Heights, and Mount Washington, and much closer to Glassell Park, Echo Park, and Atwater Village!
Our Vidéoclub screening series & events will now have ample room, as will our 45,000+ rental catalog of Blu-ray, DVD and 4k titles! The new space is a bit roomier which will allow for an enhanced section of new & used vinyl, movies for sale, posters, books, & more.
While streaming content continues to shrink, Vidéothèque's ever-growing library remains one of the most important resources for film in Los Angeles, Southern California, and beyond!
We Need Your Help
Our moving process will begin now — in mid-July — & we will cease operations at our Mission St location in August (exact date TBD), and we will re-open at our new home not long after (again TBD).
This is where YOU, our beloved community of cinephiles, come in! You recognize the importance of having films at your fingertips as corporate monopolies have repeatedly shown they are more interested in profits than providing art to the people. You cherish the ability to interact in person with your neighbors, friends, and fellow cinephiles in an environment that is a treat for the senses. You look forward to getting thoughtful recommendations from your favorite expert staff members.
Your ardent support of Vidéothèque and passion for physical media has kept us thriving for 20 years and has kept over 100 years of cinema alive and available. We are ready to soar for another 20, we just need YOUR help with the significant moving & re-opening expenses this change will incur.
Here's a general breakdown of what your gift will help us with:
- Two Rents: Covering the overlap of paying for old store/new store simultaneously
- Movers: We want to make the move as quick and easy as possible so we don't have to be closed for more than a few weeks
- Repairs, Building, Zhuzhing: We need to make our new space ours!
- New HVAC: The new building does not have heating or cooling - we are splitting this significant cost with the building owner.
- Concrete Floor: The floor is in bad shape; we've hired a company to do a "grind & seal" project. (Grinding down the concrete with a high-powered concrete grinder restores the surface level and preps the concrete for sealing). It also will be patched in a number of places. As we're leasing the building in its "as is" condition, this is another cost left to us.
- Lost Time: As much as we hate it, we will have to close our doors for a SHORT time as we make the jump. A significant portion of your support will go to covering the loss that we will incur while we are non-operational.
- Oh No!: Every move comes with unexpected troubles and it's good to have a cushion for something we cannot anticipate happening!
A gift in any amount will make a huge difference and help us continue to provide a much-needed artistic resource to the Greater Los Angeles community. We remain deeply grateful for your support, patience, and pep while we strut into our new future!
Looking forward to celebrating together in our new home once we’re settled.
Much love xx
— Mark & the Crew
Fitzcarraldo directed by Werner Herzog (1982)