Emily's Battle Against Brain Tumors
The 30th of September 2018 was the start of young Emily's fight for life!!
Emily had been complaining of headaches for a few weeks with multiple visits to the GP only to be told that she had a simple Virus and was a little dehydrated. As Emily was already wearing glasses her Mum and Dad thought it may have been her perscription that was casuing the headaches and booked an Optometrist appointment. After a short 20 minute appointment the optometrist advised them that there was some significant swelling behind and around Emily optic nerve and referred Emily directly to the Emergency Department at the local hospital.
Emily was examined by an eye specialist who confirmed the diagnosis of Papilledema and ordered an immediate MRI on Emily's brain. After the MRI was completed the Doctors called Emily's parents and asked them to attend a meeting suggesting that they find someone who may be able to mind their other child Mason while at the meeting. It was at this time that Emily's family knew the news would not be good.
The Doctors explained to Emily's family that the MRI had revealed a very large brain tumour (7cm x 6cm x 2cm) on the Left side of her brain. The tumour was so large that it wrapped around the left optic nerve and down into the brain stem. Doctors advised that Emily was at a high risk of severe stroke due to its size and location and advised that surgery would be required to save her life.
Emily's brain surgery went for over 5 hours, during which the extensive team of Doctors were able to remove 90% of the tumour. Unfortunately for Emily the remaining 10% of the brain tumour is extremely close to the brain stem making it inoperable due to the high risk factors involved.
After Emily's operation she spent 3 weeks in PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit), 2 of theses weeks Emily was intubated and unable to communicate. Pathology returned while Emily was in PICU which identified Emily Tumour as a 'Clear Cell Meningioma - Stage II. This form of brain tumour is very rare in children.
During Emily's stay in PICU her Mum and Dad were advised that Emily had experienced 2 strokes during the procedure which has significantly affected her speech, vision to her right eye and her ability to move the left side of her body or walk. Emily and her family have been told by Doctors that they simply do not know to what extent Emily will recover.
What Emily's family and friends want is to be able to give her every opportunity to fight and make the best recovery possible. Emily has not been home since the 30th of September and still has 6 weeks of Radiotherapy ahead of her to try and stop any further growth and complications arising form the Brain Tumour.
Unfortunately for Emily this means she will have to spend Christmas in Hospital. As Emily is unable to walk and now requires a motorised wheelchair, her family have extensive renovations needed for their home before Emily will be able to return home.
Please help Emily's Family get their little girl home ASAP!!!
Big thank you goes out to Fight for Connor who have been absolutely amazing with all there help with the home modifications.
Next goal we want to get Emily out of the patient transports and Taxi ‘s and back into a family car. This isn’t a small ticket item and Emily and her family are doing everything they can to make things work. We have raised our target to get Emily the help her and her family need to get around.
Only 3 weeks of radiation to go let’s go Em !!!!