294
294
6

Eliminating Chris' Cancer: Phase 2

$42,875 of $80,000 goal

Raised by 351 people in 5 months

I want to start off by saying thank you to all those who have helped us out, your support is the only thing that has made it possible to keep going over the past two years.

There is light at the end of this tunnel though, and so it is time to switch gears. The next 60 days are the critical period, and the months to follow nearly so, but if we can push past this we may finally see some sunshine for once.

Chris (big Chris, not little Christopher) is continuing his war against the cancer that seeks to destroy him. What we thought was in remission back in 2012 turned out to be hiding in wait.

It struck after we completed a cross-country move. Between being the medical caregiver for an almost fully bed-ridden husband, and full-time Mom to a ball of energy and guile that is my darling little non-verbal, adhd, and possibly autism-spectrum escape artist Christopher (age 4), there has yet to be the breather needed to anchor in and attack this properly from a position of strength.


Here's the good:

- Prognosis is good. If we can get Chris into surgery/treatment without any further serious delays, there is a good chance of elminating the remaining cancer and returning to a somewhat normal household down the road.

- Chris is currently being seen by a rockstar group of physicians and surgeons, specializing in treating his Cancer. They are some of the best in their fields.

- We have all the specialized medical equipment needed to monitor and maintain Chris's health while waiting for surgery (providing the insurance decides to cover any of his medications!!

- As soon as Chris can work again (3 to 6 months, depending on speed of surgery), getting ahead of everything will become rather straightforward (Chris' professional experience is in Information Security, Forensic Analysis, and has done training in those and related fields for a couple decades).

- Derpwovles! A family friend has gifted us three Husky puppies to raise with our old pack leader dog, and the energy has been very uplifting on the spirits of everyone involved (when it hasn't been wrecking our sleep schedules) and they've integrated well into the home.





Here's the bad:

- The oncologist at this juncture wants to do targeted radiation and maybe injected alcohol, which is a multi week treatment that we don't know how Chris will tolerate.

- I need to pay rent, and other monthly bills which we currently have neither funds nor income for (like insurance), as well as fix Big Green (our vehicle) because I need to give the borrowed vehicle back to her owner. And prep for winter.  And, and, and...

- We've finally gotten the insurance company to recognize Chris has hit his personal out of pocket max (see below). However, There's only a month and half until things reset, and the meds that currently keep him alive and me functional enough to care for him are around $4700 each month, some of which the insurance is still refusing to pay.

- Potential surgery dates (the oncologist is doing some final testing to see if that is even the most useful route) are in later November through December. While that is a huge delay with the stage of treatment we are in, it will still get covered under the insurance which is a distinct positive.




and The Ugly:

- The ACA and Harvard Pilgrim (first the one, then the other) have spent the last year finding any and every reason to cancel insurance whether they had any legal justification to do so or not.

- This latest time the cancellation was even done silently and then backdated (one of several reasons we won the fight to reinstate his insurance) to make the claim that he never hit his OOP maximum. They still owe us tens of thousands from out of pocket expenses we sustained from that, money I suspect we will never see despite it being promised in 90 to 180 days.

- It has been a hard won battle to get Chris' Insurance fully reinstated, but even after victory, they are refusing to pay for critical prescriptions that he's been taking for two years or more.

- Time is in a critical phase now, so I need to make sure that he gets exactly what the doctors say he needs to make it to surgery alive and arrive as the healthiest him possible.

 



So here we are.

I'm looking for operating costs for the next three months to keep a roof over our head, some heat through the winter, necessary medications, and transportation.






+ Read More
I'm utterly convinced that the single biggest risk to someone's mental health and sanity isn't doing, or being done to. It's being stuck, and being stuck waiting.

It's doing horrible things to us, I know this for sure.

Chris is literally bedridden and my depression... Well I don't think it's ever been this bad.

There's nothing quite like the helplessness of having nothing to do to fix things but wait.

Right now we're waiting for insurance to approve 2 MRIs and 2 MRAs of Chris's head and neck, because the neurologist suspects brain cancer.

And I am an utter wreck. EVERYTHING is on hold. Cancer treatment. Getting Christopher back home. Getting back to work. EVERYTHING.

And it's killing me. So much so that I went back on an anti-depressant that was part of a combo that had really bad side effects because I need to do SOMETHING.

Because we're waiting to see if Chris will live or die, and waiting on the clearance to proceed with treatment.

In the meantime, it's not like bills stop. No, those never stop. Rent. Health insurance I need to pay by the end of the month. Electric. Internet. Getting the truck fixed. Meds. Eating. None of that can stop.

And currently there's exactly $7.57 in the bank account.

But we're still working on all of this. It's just really incredibly difficult.

Thanks all,

Mel
+ Read More
Surgical consult done, surgery on April 5th if...

We get Chris cleared by a neurologist and a cardiologist first.

Please excuse how long it's taken to get this written, I had to request medical records, radiology images (not part of the medical records), arrange for the PCP to get a referral to a neurologist, and try to get Chris scheduled to see the cardiologist because... Surgery won't happen until he's cleared by both.

The problem with surgery is, when they put you under anesthesia the surgeon would ideally like you to eventually wake up again. The more... Difficult and touchy the surgery (think near arteries and trachea) the more true this is.

So I'm trying to get that arranged. For within 2 weeks.

In the meantime Christopher turns 5 on Wednesday, we're going to see him for Easter, and I need to pay someone to replace the front cab mounts in the Avalanche so it will pass inspection.

There's also medical bills that drained our balance, insurance to pay, and a roof to keep over our heads.

But yay, progress?

Thanks all,

Mel
+ Read More
Chris writes:

Folks, this is a dire emergency... The condition of our house is not good... weve mentioned that before. Well... our lease ran out in november and we've been month to month ever since... and at this point the landlord is unhappy and we're going to be evicted, unless I can convince him otherwise.

Meanwhile, my pre-surgical consult is literally Friday... I'm in a critical stage of my treatment, and moving right now might actually kill me on it's own...

We need to raise enough money, right now, to pay the landlord a few months rent in advance, plus an additional security deposit, and get some professional cleaners etc... in here... either that, or we have to find a place to live near by, and someone to take the dogs and cats, so I can finish my treatment with my current care team.

If I have to wait and establish another care team, and get different insurance, and go through all the preliminaries again... Well, It took from July, til now to get this care team back on track... It will literally kill me.

And We still need to raise the $40,000 or more to get me through surgery and radiation. We were able to raise enough a year and a half ago to get us through it, I'm praying we can raise enough now...
+ Read More
Surgical consult is on Friday. Then surgery in the next couple of months, if we can keep this up.

Unless Chris dies first.

Yes, we're there.

The mental and emotional states in this household are... Not good.

So... We're either raising money to get him to surgery and pay the bills, or raising money to pay the bills and get everything settled when he dies. It's really the same thing.

Either way he can't work, and I can't work and take care of him and everything else.

That's where we are. Surgery or death. Not sure of the order. Bills and groceries don't care, and wait for no one.

Thanks all,

Mel
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$42,875 of $80,000 goal

Raised by 351 people in 5 months
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
   Connect
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
$1,000
Anonymous
1 day ago
$150
Anonymous
10 days ago
$40
Anonymous
10 days ago
BH
$180
Benjamin Hodgens
14 days ago
ST
$200
Sandra Trionfini
16 days ago
FG
$105
Fred Geisler
17 days ago
JC
$100
Justin Cline
18 days ago
JB
$500
Jordan Bowman
18 days ago
RS
$200
Richard Shirley
19 days ago
$150
Robert Ries
20 days ago
or
Or, use your email…
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.