Doug's Chemo Relief - SoTA CTA
The campaign is on behalf of Doug (Iron Maiden) Rhea. Doug recently (and unexpectedly) discovered he has stage 4 colon cancer. Doug needs $25K to cover overwhleming medical bills and rigorous chemo treatments.
About Iron Maiden:
Doug is 53 years old, married with 1 son, and 3 beautiful grandkids: Daegan 6, Cora 2, and newborn Griffin. Doug is an avid gamer and a major supporter of Shroud of the Avatar (a crowd-funded MMO game and community). Doug also hosts and runs the North Texas RPG Con (ntrpgcon.com) every year.
As a community, we can help Doug relieve the pressure of finances and focus on what is important: healing and getting well. We will buy Doug's SoTA accounts (via this GoFundMe drive) and hold a charity auction for all whom contribute in this campaign (donating $100 or more). All proceeds will go to Doug (up to 25K) and the remainder will be put into a charity for others who are in desperate need (per Doug's request). He only seeks to pay his overwhelming medical bills, and then wants us to pay it forward to other Avatars in need.
A message from IronMaiden:
"I am humbled that so many people I've never met are willing to help. I am positive I will beat cancer or at worst, keep it bay and be around another 20 years (I wanna see my grand kids grown up). So again I am so thankful for those helping to "buy my assets" it will all be put to good use, and if somehow after all this I still end up with some type of account, I'll still login to visit and try and meet everyone in game at some point... actually I could probably login to the game some time during this campaign to just say hi or give tours of lots or whatever... can't do too much, it wears me out sitting at the computer for more than an hour..."
Donation Reward Levels:
Avatars who pledge $25 or more will recieve an exlcusive, rare cloak in game. This cloak will be custom-colored, and carry the unique name: Iron Maiden's Chemo Relief Fund. The style will be based-off of the ever-popular community events cloak:
Avatars who pledge $50 or more will recieve a free pass to the North Texas RPG Con courtesy of Doug (travel and lodging not included).
Avatars who pledge $100 or more will be invited to participate in an exclusive charity auction for Doug's SoTA accounts/deeds/add-ons. This auction will be commission free and provided by Shroud Markeplace.
SoTA Developer Crafted-Item Auction - The developers of Shroud of the Avatar have graciously donated some hand-crafted items that are now available for auction on Shroud Marketplace . Don't miss your chance to own a extremely rare relic! Included items by Lord British and Darkstarr!
Make Thex (Chad) Suffer Stretch Goals:
To keep momentum up, I'm going to be performing some stunts when we hit major funding milestones. I will post videos of my experiences here for you all to (laugh at) enjoy. Thanks for supporting this effort.
5K: Ice bath (UNLOCKED) - I will jump into my icy, icy pool. Even though I live in AZ, it will not be pleasant. Trust me.
10K: Hot Pepper Challenge (UNLOCKED) - I will eat habanero peppers until I can't take it anymore (or die, which ever comes first).
15K: 5 Mile Ridiculous Costume Run (UNLOCKED) - I will run 5 miles wearing a costume of the community's choosing. I may lose all of my neighbors' respect, but hey, so friggin' what.
20K: Tuna Head Consumption (UNLOCKED) - I'll eat the eyeballs, lips, and all...steamed over fresh greens. Hey, in some countries its a delicacy. Right? Right?
(Warning: not for the faint of heart, or for those about to eat lunch. :))
25K: Shave Thy Head - I know this one has been done before, but look, its the universal 'show your solidarity with people battling cancer' gesture for good reason.
A Special Note to Non-Shroud of the Avatar Donors:
I wish I had the ability to offer you something more tangible than my heartfelt thank you, but that is all I can do. Please know that your kindness is what makes hope possible.
To all donors: family, friends, members of other gaming communtities, kind samaritans and to all I may have forgotten: THANK YOU!!!
You're stepping up for Doug and making a real difference in his life.
Please donate to and share this important initiative.
Thanks to all who donate. :)
As this amazing fundraising effort draws to a close, I wanted to send out a 'housekeeping' update to our hundreds of donors. Specifically, I wanted to address reward status and the process for claiming the rewards that you may have qualified for.
1. IMCRF Cloak - in-game Shroud of the Avatar Reward. This reward is for donors who pledged $25 dollars or more during this campaign. To receive your cloak, you must friend/contact me (Thexedor Markhamm) in-game and I will meet you to deliver the cloak. These cloaks are not delivered via bank drop.
2. NTRPGCon Pass - this includes 1 pass to Doug's North Texas RPG Convention. The NTRPG Con focuses on old-school Dungeons & Dragons gaming and ANY other tabletop RPG games. For more information on the NTRPGCon, including dates, venue, etc, please visit: http://ntrpgcon.com.
To reserve your pass, please email Doug directly @ IronMaiden@MedievalGames.com. This reward is for donors who pledged $50 or more.
3. Iron Maiden Holdings Auction - this auction is for the majority of Iron Maiden's Holdings in Shroud of the Avatar. Those who donated $100 or more are eligible to participate. This auction is going on right NOW, and will last until the final auctions close on Sunday, March 5th @ 8PM CST. To view/bid on auctions currently available, please visit:
For rules, format and eligibility, please visit:
Important note: all auctions will be closing at 8PM CST on the day they are scheduled to end so we can verify and audit the results to ensure eligibility.
Finally, for donors whom gave with no interest or use in these rewards, I offer a sincere THANK YOU. You've helped us get this far and your compassion is notable and appreciated. You're making a real difference in Doug's life.
I can't believe it - we've reached our final day of fundraising for Doug (Iron Maiden)! When I started this initiative I had no idea what to expect. 30+ days later and we've raised an astounding $24,500 (via multiple fundraising sources) to help Doug pay for the life-saving chemo treatments he needs to beat cancer! Thanks to your generosity and compassion you've made this cause a great success.
THANK YOU! Seriously.
Now, there is just one more favor I'd like to ask from all of you. I set out to raise $25K for Doug and we're just shy of hitting that goal by $500. I'd like to turn our majorly awesome success into an absolute success by hitting our goal 100%. So...if you are able to chip in $5, $10, $20+ more on this final day of fundraising to help us climb the last hill together - it would be incredible. I know we can get all the way home.
We're so close!
Thanks for your continued support, everybody!
PS. SoTA Players - we're going to start our big SoTA Iron Maiden Holdings Auction tomorrow (Monday, 2/20) and every donor with a combined donation of a $100 or more is eligible to participate. The deadline to qualify for this event is today (2/19).
Things have been happening so fast over the last month (cloaks, telethons, auctions) that I have been derelict in the most important of duties: keeping everybody informed about Iron Maiden (the person). Apologies on this. Sincerely.
I spoke with Doug at length the last few days as we moved hundreds of items from his 7 accounts to prepare for the auction. We normally don't discuss the negative stuff, but I did ask him today where he was physically and emotionally. I'll share with you what I can (and is appropriate).
1. Doug was blown away by our in-game telethon. Made so many new friends that night, and really felt both humbled and honored that so many of us care and came to show their support. We were all, until 30 days ago, strangers, and now we are all part of community striving to make a difference.
2. Doug, who had not much time to play SoTA (until recently) is reinvigorated and excited to keep playing with us (don't worry, I am making sure he maintains an account, a lot, and some special holdings) to continue his adventures. One of my favorite quotes from him came while he watched his first-ever gustball tourney at the telethon:
"This gust ball thing..I LIKE IT."
3. Doug is undergoing rigorous chemotherapy. He is positive and upbeat about it, saying that the chemo itself is 'not so bad.' However, he has lost 50 pounds since December due to his liquid-only diet. He's looking forward a better diet and to stop losing weight so rapidly.
4. The good news is that Iron Maiden is responding well to treatments and may be moved to a more nutritious liquid diet soon. Right now he can only eat broth and drink Ensure. If things keep improving he will be able to blend up heartier soup and even enjoy some ice cream. He hasn't had any sort of 'real' food (besides broth and Ensure) since 12/23 - two days before last Christmas. Talk about a hard adjustment.
5. Emotionally and mentally Doug is tough and sharp. He's determined to beat the beast. He draws energy and inspiration from his grand kids and sees them often. He is also heartened by our community (in-game and out) and our effort to help. He told me that "no matter what happens" this sort of charitable activism needs continue in SoTA.
Darn right it does, IronMaiden. :) And, it will.
Here's to keeping Doug in our thoughts and hearts! Our support further bolsters his spirit (and our own).
As many of you know, our in-game IMCRF telethon was a smashing success. During the course of the broadcast, we brought in $4000 of new donation revenue for Iron Maiden ($3000 more than our initial goal)! WOOT! We also gave away over 50 prizes to winners who not only donated to the campaign, but also joined us in game and on-line to participate in the telethon. Please check this thread for the winners' list and instructions on how to claim your prizes:
And yes, we hit yet another Make Thex Suffer Stretch Goal *shudder* by crossing the 20K marker (by a mile). In fact, our total donation initiative has raised $23,825 total to date! ($21,325 raised in GoFundMe) and an additional $2,500 (raised via the Developer Crafted Auction). The latter will be Paypal'd to Doug directly to avoid the 5% GFM fee. I will post a copy of the transfer receipt one this is done for your review.
So yeah, we're a little over $1000 away from my initial goal of $25K in one month's time (how cool is that?). And, yes, the telethon marked the 'official' end of the first phase of the IMCRF (the GoFundMe drive). However, since we are so close (and I am a completionist) I've decided to leave the GoFundMe active for one last week (until Sunday, Feb 19th) while we prepare for the Iron Maiden Holdings Auction (phase 2, and final, of the IMCRF initiative). Donations are still trickling in, so I am happy to see if we can get a nose over the finish line. So, if you haven't donated yet, want to donate in somebody else's name to get 'em a cloak, or know some people that would like to donate - here is a small extension to receive rewards for participating ($25 donations for IMCRF Cloaks / $100 donations for access to the Holdings Auction - and yes, donations do stack). To reiterate, this deadline of 2/19/17 is the hard and final one. :)
So speaking of Make Thex Suffer Stretch Goals, here is the latest for your enjoyment: Fish Head Challenge. Enjoy (but...don't watch while eating, mmm'kay? - you've been warned)!
Thanks, eveybody! We're creating good works through gaming and making a real difference in Doug's life!