Colby The Frenchie Medical Fund
Colby has a rapidly progressive medical issue, the extent of which is not fully known yet. She has lost most of the function of her left hind leg, and is losing function in walking in general. In addition, she is no longer able to closer her left eye, which has caused an ulcer to form.
We have seen our trusted vet, who instantly referred us to a neuroligist to better diagnose and treat Colby. Our worst fears were confirmed today that her condition while still unknown, is rapidly developing. Every day is a day where she may lose function in a limb that she may never get back. We are scheduled for an MRI, spinal tap, as well as a plethora of other tests and bloodwork that will hopefully diagnose her condition so that we have a chance at stopping or reversing it.
Unfortunately, it is going to cost a lot of money we don't have just to find out what we can do to help our dog child. If you can spare even $1 it will hopefully help us save the life of our most prized little one. Any dollar raised over the cost of expenses will go towards a charity who helps pets in need like ours is.
I don't know if we will ever be able to repay you, but please know that Colby is our world and you're doing more than we deserve, but exactly what Colby deserves. She is the happiest most loved dog, and we just want her to live a long healthy life if at all possible. Thank you for your donation! -Telle Pamela and Colby Jack￼
It has been quiet on our front due to the fact we've been waiting on some more blood work results and a checkup to see how Colby has been reacting to the chemo and other medications she's on.
For the first time since this began, we can write you all with GOOD news. Her body is holding strong and fighting. Her white blood cell count has raised nearly 30% since we first took her in.
Tentatively she will have two appointments a month with her neurologist for the next year, monitoring her medication and the effects they have on her body. We can't thank the team at Animal Specialty Group enough for the care and love they have shown Colby.
As most of you know, she is a part of our family and I wish she could feel the love from all of you. It has touched us in a way we cannot put into words.
This is a daily, weekly and monthly battle for Colby and she will have ups and downs but for now we have our little one a little bit longer. And certainly longer than we would have without all of your donations.
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts,
Telle Pamela and Colby
I'm writing you this morning with the most detailed and up to date information regarding Colby's health and diagnosis to this point.
On Thursday October 27th Colby went under anesthesia to have a multitude of test done, including an MRI, CT Scan, Spinal Tap and blood work of all kinds.
We dropped her off at 7am and were able to take her home for the next two weeks at approximately 6:30pm.
From what the doctors know so far, here is a detailed account of her issues that we know. There will be additional details in "7-10 business days" while we await further information due back from her blood work that was sent off to a specialist.
1) Colby has developed AS Otitis Media and AU Otitis Externa which are an inner ear disease and a inflammation of the outer ear (commonly known as swimmers ear in humans). She currently has an inner and outer ear infection in her left ear, but she's on medication to kill the infection and manage the disease from this point on.
2) She has abulatory left hemiparesis, or weakness of the left side of her body basically which was one of the symptoms that led us to take her in immediately in the first place. She went from running around like a normal 5 year old dog to barely being able to stand or walk just 4 days ago. There is some nerve damage as well.
3) She has (hopefully temporarily) lost sensation in parts of her face, including her eye, mouth, tongue and left nostril. She is now on medication that will hopefully help improve her feeling. But she also may never regain it back at this point.
4) She has multiple malformations throughout her spine, which isn't uncommon in her breed but something we have to manage as there was also narrowing of the spine. She is on medication to reduce inflammation in her spine.
5) Now to the worst part of what was discovered... She has Meningoencephalitis. This is a big word for an infection of the brain. There are two types, one is more severe, and both are life long. We will find out which type she has in 7-10 days from her blood work results that tested positive for this disease. The most common form is called GME, and the survival of this can be as short as months, or up to 2-3 years with treatment. There is no way to tell which category she will fall into until after her blood work comes back, and until she shows signs of responding to the steroids she'll be on starting today.
From this point on she is waiting on test results to see how treatable her condition is. We won't have many updates until next week, once the medications have had a chance to work or potentially not work.
Colby will be on medication for the rest of her life, as this disease has a high probability for relapsing if she is able to beat it and get it under control in the first place.
It goes without saying that we have been utterly humbled and speechless at the outpouring of support for Colby. It is clear to us that so many of you feel the same way as we do about our pets, that they are a part of each of our families. As we mentioned in our earlier update, any money over expenses will be going towards charity for other dogs in need. We have begun discussing options as to how we can be a part of a particular charity TBD in a longtime role. It has changed our lives to have the love and support from almost 500 donors and thousands of people sharing Colby's story.
Many of you have written us that you had to put your dog down due to insufficient funds and that breaks our hearts. We want to be a part of something that can help others like us in the future.
There are no words for how we feel. Just know that whether your donation was $1 or $1,000 we will be forever in your debt.
Please follow our page for updates on Colby, and if you wish to follow her on instagram we will be posting pictures of what we hope will be her recovery at @colbythefrenchie
Telle Pamela and of course, Colby
I just wanted to reach out to everyone to say how thankful Pamela and I are for your support. We are so overwhelmed by your generosity and love, we honestly can't put it into words.
Tomorrow morning at 7am we go into the neurologist to hand over Colby to her new doctor. She'll be with them approximately 12 hours, or longer depending on what their findings show.
I wanted to update since we have reached our initial goal. I'm going to raise the goal higher to cover costs of what we were told to anticipate dealing with in a best case scenario.
The initial $6,000 is covering her initial vet bill and all of the neurologist related costs for the testing and procedures they will be doing tomorrow in hopes of finding the source of all Colby's problems, not any future treatment/surgical related costs she will go through.
Please know that all of your donations are going to Colby, her testing and any and all treatment and/or surgical costs.
Again, we are humbled by your love and support no matter how large or small your donation was. Even if you just shared this link, it has touched our lives in a way we can't quite explain.
IF for some reason donations surpass what Colby's expenses are, we will make sure to donate that to a charity that helps people in need in similar situations.
Love to all,
Telle Pamela and Colby