AFSLI Conference Funding
The African Federation of Sign Language Interpreters in partnership with the World Association of Sign Language Interpreters is asking for your help in realizing the dream of hosting the first African continental conference for the Deaf and Interpreting communities. The conference “Sign Language Interpreting and Deaf Rights in Africa” is scheduled to be held May 24-28, 2017 in Abuja, Nigeria. The conference will bring together researchers in the field of sign language interpretation, leaders of various organizations of the Deaf and sign language interpreters, and mentors with interest in training and building a generation of young interpreters in Africa.
The purpose of this regional conference is to build leadership capacity among sign language interpreters and Deaf leaders in African countries in support of Deaf African’s human and linguistic rights and the right to equal access to information. Some of the expected outcomes of the conference are:
· Building leadership capacity among sign language interpreters and Deaf leaders in African Countries
· Strengthening the capacity of the African Union of the Deaf & AFSLI for regional activities that will promote Deaf rights and sign language interpreter education
· Building synergy with the regional government for inclusion in developmental activities of the region
· Building a network of all organizations of the Deaf and interpreters in Africa for utilization of material, technical, and human resources.
· Identifying new practice and trends in the field of sign language interpretation and sign language research methodology
· Developing partnership strategies with WASLI, WFD, EUD, NAD, and NAOBI in achieving the goals set by AFSLI and AUD.
Your donation will help AFSLI and WASLI realize this dream and promote the human rights of Deaf African citizens and the right to equal access to information throughout the continent. Donations will be used for accommodations and travel for keynote speakers including a WFD represenatative from Africa and the Vice President of WASLI, accommodations and travel to ensure that delegates from all countries in Africa are able to attend, accommodations and travel for International Sign Interpreters, and general conference expenses. More information can be found at afsli.org
Both WASLI and AFSLI are deeply grateful for your generous donation!