28 Black Women Coloring Book
$4,000 of $3,000 goal
Hello! I'm Simone Grace, and I'm an illustrator and creator of Feminist Coloring Pages . You can check out my work also on my Instagram .
To celebrate Black History Month, I decided to illustrate one inspiring Black woman a day, for the entire month of February 2017. At the end of the month, I will create a digital, printable coloring book that combines all 28 of the drawings.
You can "purchase" the coloring book with a $15 donation and 100% of raised funds will be donated to NAACP and ACLU .
Hope you'll join me in working to reach this goal!
The twenty-eight women I am illustrating are luminaries in politics, arts and sports, not to mention activism and philanthropy.
In addition to North Americans, I have also included women from the greater Black diaspora (e.g. Zadie Smith, Felicita "La Prieta" Méndez, Celia Cruz, Nancy Morejón) to celebrate their contribution to Pan-American history.
There are many more extraordinary women I left out, whom I hope to honor in future projects.
Keep up with my progress on Instagram!
(bold is already done)
1. Michelle Obama (First Lady)
2. Angela Davis (activist, scholar, and author)
3. Zadie Smith (novelist)
4. Carole Moseley Braun (senator)
5. Alice Walker (writer, womanist)
6. Nina Simone (musician and activist)
7. Kara Walker(artist)
8. Serena Williams (tennis superheroine)
9. Condoleeza Rice (Secretary of State)
10. Julia de Burgos (poet and Puerto Rican independence advocate)
11. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (novelist)
12. Ntzoke Shange (playwright)
13. Misty Copeland (ballerina)
14. Madame CJ Walker (entrepreneur and philanthropist)
15. Michelle J Howard (United States Navy admiral)
16. Kathleen Battle (operatic soprano)
17. Roxane Gay (writer)
18. Marta Moreno-Vega (scholar, cutural advocate)
19. Katherine Johnson (physicist and mathematician)
20. Jackie Ormes (cartoonist)
21. Gwendolyn Brooks (Pulitzer-winning poet)
22. Celia Cruz (Cuban singer and actress)
23. Faith Ringgold (artist)
24. Shirly Chisholm (politician, educator and author)
25. Carrie Mae Weems (artist)
26. Mae C. Jemison ( engineer, physician and NASA astronaut)
27. Nancy Morejón (Cuban essayist, poet, critic)
28. Audre Lorde (writer, activist)
How? Even though the fundraiser is over, my two friends, Giacomo and Sassa (who hail from the great state of Michigan) just saw this update and insisted that they want to match the WePay fee deduction!
When asked where their donation should go, Giacomo and Sassa said that education is very important to them and designated the NAACP LDF Scholarship Fund as the recipient.
Love wins and multiplies. Thank you!
NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund: $500
NAACP LDF Scholarship Fund: $500
NAACP General: $1,000
I decided to divide the NAACP donations so that some of it goes toward their acclaimed Legal Defense Fund (as well as a scholarship program within it), which fights to diminish the role of race in criminal justice and democratic systems. The breakdown and email confirmations are in the attached image.
I'll be sending you your coloring book soon.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Thank you. What you can look forward to:
1) Within a week, I'll be posting screenshots of two donations, $4,000 (minus 5% GoFundMe fee), split half and half between ACLU & NAACP. (I'm waiting for the last of the deposits to arrive!)
2) By March 8, I will email you the PDF of the coloring book. (I need time to edit it!)
3) For those of you who have donated $100+, I will be contacting you individually for the commissioned portraits I owe you ;)
Thank you for your support, trust, encouragement. Thank you for your heart.
I'm not all that worried about America.
p.s. -- if you want to keep up with my art, you can do so by following me at @feministcoloring on Instagram, or visit my website at http://simonegrace.me.
Today is the last day of this fundraiser, which uses art to raise money for social justice and civil liberty.
We are at an incredible $3,430 right now -- would you help me bring it up $3,500 so it can be a GORGEOUS multiple of $500?
Give $5! Or $10!
Donate once more and gift it to a friend!
Pressure a friend who is flush! :)
Thank you so much for having been part of this experience with me.
Wow, what a success! Thank you for putting in the loving work of not only completing this important project but coordinating use of donated money to these thoughtfully chosen and crucial causes. Can't wait to use the coloring book with my daughter!
Congratulations, Grace! What a beautiful program you put together for Black History Month - I love that you're splitting the donations between the ACLU and the NAACP, and I love that you're sharing your art with those who supported this project. Wow! Can't wait for my downloadable coloring pages ... Best to you on future ventures - Davielle Huffman, Encinitas, CA