A Bubble In The Cash Flow
Please donate to Hurricane Harvey relief, they need it more than I do. There are other folks who are also struggling and I encourage you to consider their needs as well.
We're over the hump, we're in good shape for now, and we're enormously grateful to everyone. A big thank you to everybody who contributed or shared.
But because several people have asked for stuff to read, we're continuing this Gofundme effort as a simple book sale. If you want to get copies of a lot of my best writing for a nice price, this is your chance:
Anyone who makes any donation at all (of any size) will receive:
A link to download a zip file of A SCATTERING OF TALES. This includes three novellas, AND Worlds of Wonder, my book on How To Write Science Fiction and Fantasy. This is everything I learned from the good writers. It's everything I wish someone had taught me when I was first starting out.
DONATION PERK FOR $25
Anyone making a donation of $25 or more will receive the previous perk, PLUS:
A link to download a zip file of TO LIVE AND DRIVE IN LA, a collection of nine stories based mostly in Los Angeles, PLUS all three novels in The Dingilliad, the "Jumping Off The Planet" trilogy.
DONATION PERK FOR $50
Anyone making a donation of $50 or more will receive, all of the previous perks, PLUS:
A link to download a zip file of THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF DAVID GERROLD, a collection of sixteen stories based on some of my personal experiences (in this and other universes, starting with "The Kennedy Enterprise" and ending with "A Mild Case of Death." Includes "The Martian Child."
DONATION PERK FOR $75
Anyone making a donation of $75 or more will receive all of the previous perks, PLUS:
A link to download a zip file of TALES FROM THE DARKER SIDE, a collection of two short stories, four novellas and two novels, JACOB, and THIRTEEN FOURTEEN FIFTEEN O'CLOCK. These are grittier works and more amibitious.
DONATION PERK FOR $100
Anyone making a donation of $100 or more will receive all of the previous perks, PLUS:
A link to download a zip file containing the first four novels in THE WAR AGAINST THE CHTORR, A Matter For Men, A Day For Damnation, A Rage For Revenge, and A Season For Slaughter. PLUS: a great big chunk of book five, A Nest For Nightmares. Plus two stories tentatively slated for Book Six, A Method For Madness.
DONATION PERK FOR $1000
Anyone making a donation of $1000 or more will receive all of the previous perks, PLUS:
I will name a character after you in either A NEST FOR NIGHTMARES or A METHOD FOR MADNESS.
If we make our target, EVERYBODY will receive an extra perk. I can't say what that will be yet, because I haven't made up my mind. But it will be something not available anywhere else.
If we make our stretch target EVERYBODY will receive an extra perk. I can't say what that will be yet, because I haven't made up my mind. But it will be something not available anywhere else.
AND ONE MORE THING:
I'm going to add something else to this as well.
After you receive your link to the Chtorr files, you are invited to serve as a freelance beta-reader on The War Against The Chtorr, if there are things in the books that you think should be fixed, or could be better, this is where I am actively soliciting serious feedback.
Here's what I'm looking for.
1) Typos. Grammatical errors. If you spot one of these nits, do not tell me it's the fourth paragraph, second line, on page 243. That won't help. Quote the whole paragraph, or at least the offending sentence, so I can do a global search for it.
2) Technical errors in science, military tech, or military jargon. Anything that breaks your believability. Again, quote the whole paragraph, or at least the offending sentence, so I can do a global search for it.
3) Places where technology needs to be updated, because we've surpassed what I postulated twenty years ago. Again, quote the whole paragraph, or at least the offending sentence, so I can do a global search for it.
4) Unanswered questions. Incomplete thoughts. Incomplete sentences or ideas. Again, quote the whole paragraph, or at least the offending sentence, so I can do a global search for it.
5) Something that you feel needs to be better explained. Anything that is unclear to you. Again, quote the whole paragraph, or at least the offending sentence, so I can do a global search for it.
6) Anything relating to the political situation, ie. the state of the United States in this story. I'm making one or two changes that will enhance the tale. (IMHO.) Again, quote the whole paragraph, or at least the offending sentence, so I can do a global search for it.
7) And finally, any philosophical issue that needs additional exploration, or which you think might be flawed in some regard. Again, quote the whole paragraph, or at least the offending sentence, so I can do a global search for it.
8) Any plot point that bothers you. Again, quote the whole paragraph, or at least the offending sentence, so I can do a global search for it.
9) Anything you would like to see expanded, any character you would like to know more about, any description that you feel is insufficient. Anything. Again, quote the whole paragraph, or at least the offending sentence, so I can do a global search for it.
IN RETURN FOR ANY USEFUL NOTES, you will get your name included in the acknowledgment page as a beta-reader.
There is no immediate rush on beta-reader responses, take your time -- any time before the end of the year will be fine. An email to the address below, with the identifying subject as CHTORR BETA-NOTES.
THE FIRST ROUND OF PERKS WILL BE SENT OUT ON OR BEFORE AUGUST 25.
ONE ADDITIONAL REQUEST
If you do make a donation, I request that you do not share your perk with anyone else. (Well, your significant other is okay, but you know what I mean. Don't distribute this, please. Don't hand out copies willy-nilly. That's not fair to me or to the others who've invested in this effort.)
Perks will be sent out on Wednesdays and Saturdays -- more often if I can. If I'm traveling, I might not have wifi access. Check my Facebook page for news.
Thanks for considering this. Thanks for your support.
There's a stretch target now, and another bonus perk if we reach that. And maybe more beyond.
But let me stress something — if you want to help people donate to Hurricane Harvey relief and probably Irma relief soon too.
Right now, this has become just another book sale and I will sell ebooks as long as people want to buy them. It's a pretty good set of bargains.
My thanks to everyone who contributed, everyone who shared, everyone who thought kind thoughts.
Thanks to everybody who got us this far. It helkped more than you know. As a special thank you, I hope to have some really good news to share with you before October.
Thanks again for buying books. Enjoy!
Do I care what you think?
But if you have to know the details, last year we had a car stolen that had to be replaced, nearly $10K of legal bills, Sean had a broken wrist, and we had a wedding to pay for, plus wedding pictures, and an assortment of other stuff, like emergency car repairs — we coped with most of it. We're good at that, but my savings were wiped out.
And ... when I'm working on novels, I'm not writing/selling short stories. So yeah, as careful as I've managed circumstances, as careful as I've tried to be — certain checks did not come in on time. And that was why I did a gofundme.
But what the complainers seem to have missed is that it's also an ebook sale. There are nearly a dozen novels in the perk package and a couple hundred thousand words of short stories and scripts. It's a whole effing library of stuff that spans some of the best writing of my career. And in terms of price per package, it's a bargain for readers.
Let me also share this. Sorry for the vaguebooking, but there are a couple of things in development that could pay off nicely, worth the time and effort. So yeah, I haven't been idle over here. I'm investing in my own dreams.
There are two additional points I want to make:
1) I have learned how to pay it forward. I started paying it forward big time over thirty years ago, when I raised over $30K for the AIDS Project Los Angeles, simply by selling scripts. I intend to keep paying it forward, whenever and however I am able.
2) I have asked people to stop donating to my gofundme and donate to Houston relief efforts instead. (If people still want to buy books, they can, but even though I haven't reached my target, I'm over the hump.)
So to those few who have questioned my efforts — go in peace. Go and donate to the Houston relief efforts. Go and donate to whatever cause you care about. But just go.
Meanwhile, my friends understand that friends help friends. And good people help everyone.
As promised, the first bonus perk has kicked in. It will be a link to download a PDF an unproduced script. (Still not announcing which one.)
When we hit the target, a second bonus perk will be announced. And there's a stretch goal too. Thank you again for helping.