We are committed to supporting, unifying and creating an empowered world of infinite possibilities by raising $20,000 in 20 days (#20Kin20Days) for these courageous children.
CPNYC serves an often "forgotten population struggling with the psychological trauma and social stigma that stems from a parent’s incarceration" . Their staff training combines the best practices in youth development with mental health strategies and techniques that specifically address the unique needs of these children.
· AFTER-SCHOOL ACTIVITIES provide a safe space, group learning, homework assistance, book clubs, community service and more.
· SUMMER DAY CAMP operates M-F, 8AM to 5PM in July/August that provides recreational activities and mental health services, as well as participation in non-traditional sports, including golf and tennis.
· MENTORSHIP: PROJECT DREAM provides children of imprisoned parents, ages 8-18, with one-to-one matches with screened and trained mentors, as part of the agency’s larger mission to break the cycle of intergenerational incarceration.
· THERAPEUTIC SERVICES trauma-focused therapeutic interventions play a key role in supporting success in school, ability to get along with others, and opportunities to cope with the unique challenges of disenfranchised grief. The Children of Promise, NYC Wellness Center is a New York State Office of Mental Health licensed Outpatient Treatment Program.
· FAMILY CONNECT focuses on working with caregivers to eliminate barriers that may exist in the lines of communication between children and their imprisoned parent, coordinate trips to correctional facilities and provide workshops to assist in understanding the regulations and protocols of jails and prisons.
Your donations will support CPNYC's efforts to expand into the South Bronx later this year and replicate the Brooklyn model in a similar high-need area. Additionally, Tribe is seeking to arrange a field trip, volunteer for functions/events and become mentors.
New York State spends $88k a year to incarcerate a juvenile, while CPNYC spends $6k per year to provide preventive & support services to a child of an imprisoned parent.
· 2.7 million children in the US suffer socially, emotionally and economically as a result of parental incarceration
· In NYC, 58% of incarcerated men and 73% of imprisoned women are parents to children under the age of 18
· CPNYC is the only after-school program & summer day camp in NYC designed to specifically meet the needs of this target population*
*Provided by CPNYC
A Tribe Called Love sought to go beyond buying a few new computers and/or some art supplies; rather we wanted to continually impact children, their environment, families and future legacies.
These children of promise truly represent the potential for a transformed world, one child at a time.
The response has been overwhelming and we are so excited that we are keeping it open!
All proceeds go directly to CPNYC!!
Be a part of an awesome program!
Didn't get a chance to donate yet? Here it is! You have 1hr and 38 minutes left!
Children are our most important legacy! What we put in them is exactly what we get out!
Today is the last day; this sucker closes by 9PM EDT.
I am going to be shamelessly plugging this charity, ALL. DAMN. DAY. LONG.
If you have been on the fence about donating, get off the fence: donate.
If I reached out to you about donating and you said "yes" and have not, as of yet: donate.
If you are wondering if it's worth it, "YES, IT IS": donate.
If you have to wonder if these kids are worth it, consider how easy it is for someone to think less of themselves rather than more...and then donate.
These kids, all kids get to KNOW that they are more than what other people categorize them as simply b/c of their family members, neighborhood, financial situation or "look".
These kids are destined for greatness and they achieve that destiny our support. #ittakesavillage