Help Stephen (Stephen "Strong")
$7,485 of $71,000 goal
Stephen is a four year old boy with stage 4 Neuroblastoma. In August 2016 his mom noticed a bump on the side of his head. Doctors couldn’t figure out the cause. A month later, Stephen developed a sudden fever and was rushed to the hospital and given a head CT and chest x-ray. It was then his family learned the news about Stephen’s stage 4 Neuroblastoma. The following day Stephen was transferred to Children’s Hospital of Detroit. He spent ten days in the PICU. His first two days were spent undergoing two surgeries; one for the biopsy of his lymph node and the other to put in a special line for his chemo. In that time, he had five MRI’s, and a bone marrow biopsy. He then started his first round of five chemotherapy treatments. Each lasting three to six days just of treatment. Additionally he spent three to seven days in the hospital to recover from the vomiting and other complications. Since the start of this battle, he has been in the ER three times.
When he is not in the hospital, Stephen needs to see the oncologist twice a week to make sure his blood counts are still good, which usually only amounts to a week and a half at home in between hospital stays. Stephen underwent a third surgery after his fifth round of chemotherapy to remove the large tumor in his chest. He had a chest tube put in, and was in the hospital for four days. Now Stephen is having his first of two bone marrow transplants which will put him in the hospital for a minimum of four weeks. His immune system will be wiped out completely and restarted with his own stem cells. He will need to do this a second time within a month. Following that, they will be traveling out of state for the next step of treatment. Instead of traditional radiations, Stephen will be receiving Proton treatment. He will be gone for up to four weeks, living out of a hotel and hospital. Upon returning home, Stephen will need six to eight months of immunotherapy treatment involving more hospital stays.
Stephen is a very strong and special boy. He wants to beat this so that he may pursue his dreams of being either a K9 police officer or a fire fighter. He wants to help others the way that people have been helping him. Stephen, along with his parents and seven year old sister, thank you for your kindness, generosity, love, support, and prayers. They can’t do this without you.
Thank you from Mariana Sadowski Hohauser, Jon Hohauser and Thomas Richards Charity
Thomas Richards Charity is a 501(c)3 nonprofit charity. We are an exempt organization as described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Your donation will go directly to help this family over this overwhelmingly emotional time. Please help in any way you can. There has been and overwhelming show of support from first responders K-9 across the country posting photos of the K-9's on his FB Page Stephen "Strong" these make him smile day in and day out.
Thomas Richards Charity (FaceBook)
Police K9's, Search/Rescue Dogs, Working Dogs, Sport Dogs, Therapy and Assistance Dogs, etc......
Our Little K9 Handler Buddy "Stephen Strong" is going back to Childrens Hospital on Wednesday (04/26) morning to fight for his LIFE! He will be there for at least another month of treatment for his neuroblastoma! Let's be waiting there outside, lined up, as he arrives to show him our love and support! His Mom will let me know what time once she knows! Spread the word! If you are able to make it, please let me know!
March 26 at 9:33am
I know many of you have been asking and I am sorry for not updating sooner. Its been a hard few days and to think we have to go through this all over again in a few weeks.....
Update on our Stephen: We are going on day 26 in the hospital. He is finally off of a lot of his meds and down to 1 IV poll. They have taken him off of the TPN as of 2 days ago and tried to ween him off of the morphine. We had to put him back on the morphine and at a bit higher dose because he is still having pain in his throat. The pain is not sever but it is bad enough to were he is not eating or drinking and when he yawns he cries because it hurts. He has lost a lot of weight over the past week so they are hoping that he will start if not eating at least drinking his calories that he needs. If he doesnt, then and keeps dropping weight he will have to go back on TPN and delay our release even more. As of right now, we thought maybe to be out by Wednesday but I am not getting my hopes up. This is on Stephens time when his body says he is ready to leave. Please keep the prayers coming. I am sorry like I said for being so slow on the updates. He does love seeing all the great videos and wonderful K9 pictures. Praying today that he at least will drink SOMETHING!! lol Thank you again everyone.