John & Alana's Recovery Fund

$115,940 of $200,000 goal

Raised by 1,356 people in 15 months
Created April 24, 2018
Hello friends,

I am one of Alana's lifelong friends, and I was most recently her matron of honor. I wanted to start this fund to help make things a bit easier on them as they currently deal with a major life challenge. 

John and Alana were very recently married on April 7, 2018.
They were honeymooning in Bora Bora, when the unthinkable happened. 

Friday, April 20, the day before they were headed back home to start their new life as Mr. and Mrs. Knight, John had an accident and fractured his C-7 vertebrae and had to have emergency surgery. He was taken on a boat gurney to the airport, and flown on an emergency medical plane to the main island of Tahiti, as Bora Bora doesn't have a real hospital. 

He is now currently in ICU in a hospital in Tahiti and is stable, but has to have major oxygen treatments for an hour every 4 hours as he's not using his lungs properly at the moment. 
The doctors are also encouraging him to cough to remove stuff from his lungs to avoid infection and/or complications. 

He can't move his left leg much, but we are hoping this will improve. He suffered major spinal chord trauma. 

Although John has insurance, they are uncertain if any of his expenses will actually be covered, and that is a naturally causing a great deal of stress. 

John and Alana have a long road ahead. They will need to get back to the states and most likely will need medical assistance on the flight consisting of a nurse and a medical doctor, especially if John still needs oxygen treatments. Their flights home will also have to come out of pocket. 

They do not have anymore paid time off, as they used it up for their honeymoon.

We are asking for anything you can give to help take some of the financial burden off of these newlyweds. 

We have no idea when they will be able to come home, and Alana is staying in a hotel across the street from the hospital, but paying out of pocket for this as well. 

Please consider contributing; even if it's a small amount. If you cannot donate, PLEASE forward this and help spread the word, and send a prayer instead. 

John and Alana appreciate all the love and support--they can feel it from afar. 

They thank you from the bottom of their hearts for your generosity and kindness. 

With love & gratitude,
  Dori Lancaster
+ Read More
Hi all,

Here with a very exciting update!!

John and Alana landed back in Los Angeles last evening!! HOORAY--they are HOME at last!!

Those of you who know Alana personally, or are friends with me on social media, may have already seen Alana's update, but for those of you who have generously supported total strangers, now you know they are home safe, too!

John is being evaluated by doctors here and will soon have a better idea as to what is in store for him for rehab and prognosis, but remains in good spirits.

We cannot thank you all enough for your continued support! It means the world to John and Alana.

With love and gratitude,
+ Read More
Hi all,

Here with another update for you.
I WISH I were writing to tell you John and Alana were on their way home. Unfortunately, they are not, and they still do not have a flight scheduled.

In the meantime, John has been out of ICU and in the neurosurgery unit for the past 5 days.
John has been getting physical therapy which had started in ICU and he has been getting more exercises for his hands, legs and arms as of last week. Little by little, he's been gaining more strength.

John's voice has been effected from the surgery and the doctor said John can expect to sound different for about 3 months. John's larynx had damage from the medulla contusion and they had to move his larynx during surgery. Alana said he sounds a bit like The Godfather--with a soft, manly whisper.

They are continued to be moved by the outpouring of love and support from afar.

Hopefully the next update will be that Alana and John are back home, safe and sound, in California.

Much love to all of you who have been such a humungous source of comfort and support during John and Alana's journey.

With gratitude for all you are and all you do,
+ Read More
...Alana's words continued:

Every day has been difficult, emotional, and beyond stressful. I’ve cried every day out of fear of John’s situation, frustration, and tears of joy from the amount of love that is out there for John.
I can’t help but use the term “nightmare” over and over but it’s really felt like one. But through this nightmare, there have been MANY blessings we are forever grateful for that have not gone unnoticed. First and foremost, John is alive.
+ Read More
Okay--this is actually going to be a 3-parter, because it's really, really long, and I didn't want to edit her words...

Hello world! At last!

As I sit here in the ICU at Ta’aone Hospital with John, I seem to finally have a few moments to start writing some stuff down to share that I’ve had zero time for but have been wanting to do. We’ll see how long it takes to finish, but gotta start somewhere. Most of you know that I don’t post too many personal things on social media but we clearly have a huge following of people who care about us and have been wanting to know more that I haven’t had the time to keep up with. So here it goes...gonna try and keep it as short as possible, but I doubt it will happen.

Where do I even begin? I could seriously write a book based on the last 11 days alone and it’s exhausting just to reflect on it now. It has been the most frightening, stressful, and overwhelming 11 days of my life. We went from the most amazing dream honeymoon to the biggest nightmare we could imagine. John sustained a complicated compression fracture at his C-7 vertebrae and spinal cord trauma. He initially couldn’t feel his legs and we were both petrified that he had just been paralyzed. The feeling came back in his legs but hasn’t been able to move his left leg much. His entire left side of body has been effected by this trauma from the swelling in the spinal cord. Which meant his breathing in the left lung wasn’t working properly. He was on a strict regiment of ventilator treatments but has thankfully not needed them for the last several days. He has been trying to move his leg everyday and I do my own little form of therapy with his leg to exercise it, as well. The left leg has definitely “improved” since this began but only in his upper quad and slight wiggling of toes. The neurosurgeon said there is no guarantee that it will ever resolve and only time and tons of therapy will tell but John is hungry to fight to walk again. For now, he is bedridden and cannot move too much. He can use his right hand, with some difficulty, but gets by with some assistance. He has a lot of nerve pain in arms and cannot stay sitting up for too long. Continues to get nasal oxygen when his saturation level gets too low. He’s in bad shape, but he could be in a lot worse of shape so we are grateful for that.

That is the shortest version possible on John’s medical situation. As far as everything else that has transpired in trying to get him medically transported back to the States, I won’t even begin to get into that. Only a few people truly know the difficulties and painful journey it has been the last 11 days. The headaches, red tape, stress, non-stop calls, emails, texts, insurance companies, foreigner assistance company, research, communication barriers, privacy laws, miscommunication between companies...I could go on and on. None of this has been easy. The thought alone of this tragedy has not been easy. But then add being in a foreign country and trying to navigate how to get him home only compounded things. It’s an extremely complicated task and is taking hours upon hours of hard work by many people.
I couldn’t have survived or come this far without the help of certain people. My right-hand-man has been one of John’s best friends, Dave Reich. His role has been pivotal in making SO much happen. Also, Chris White, our dear friend who married us only a few weeks ago. Without the hard work, perseverance, persistence, and countless hours of time and effort put into this complicated situation, on top of living busy lives of their own, I don’t even want to think about where we would be right now. Derek and Brian have also been right there with me all along. I can’t thank these boys enough for stepping up to the plate and fighting for John all the while guiding me and making sure I’m doing ok. (Cuz there were times when I wasn’t ok). I’ve married into some beautiful friendships and John and I are lucky to be surrounded by such top notch human beings.

+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$115,940 of $200,000 goal

Raised by 1,356 people in 15 months
Created April 24, 2018
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
Michael & Sally Timaracs
12 months ago
Marleina Hampton
12 months ago
Cindy Bertematti
13 months ago
Shawbong Fok
13 months ago
LVT Friday Volleyball Team
13 months ago
13 months ago
Nina Zivanovic
13 months ago
Yuriko Katagiri
13 months ago
Cynthie Martin
13 months ago
Jeffrey Harris
13 months ago
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.