Briona's Art Residency Fund
The time has come for Briona to spread her wings and take to the sky as an artist. She has been accepted to a number of exclusive artist residencies around the US and Canada throughout the summer/fall and she needs your support to make these opportunities a reality.
The art residencies that she's been accepted to are the first step in her grander goal to achieve success as a professional artist. In the big picture, if an up-and-coming artist wants to be accepted to a highly respected art university's Masters of Fine Arts degree program, having attended artist residencies such as these are essential.
At the end of June, Briona will be moving to Calgary, Alberta Canada for two months to work at the Alberta College of Art and Design. There she'll have unlimited access to the metal and glass workshop located on campus. The school will be supplying her with limited materials and resources and she will need to cover most of the costs and her own living/travel expenses while she's there. Learn more about the program here: https://www.acad.ca/about-acad/research-and-innovation/residencies/summer-residency-2017
Upon completion of her residency in Canada, Briona will then be moving to New York for a month. She has been accepted to the Arts Letters and Numbers residency program, another well respected and desireable program for any emerging artist. Learn more about the program here: http://www.artslettersandnumbers.com/programs/residency-1/
Quite frankly, these two programs are just the beginning. There are a number of other national and international artist residency programs that she's applied to and is awaiting response. None of us who know her talents will be surprised if she is accepted to them as well. Most noteably, she has applied to the legendary Kohler Arts Residency Program and has made it to the second round of consideration for acceptance. The Kohler program is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that accepts a small number of artists each year and offers incredible resources to their artist's projects. Please check out the website to learn more: https://www.jmkac.org/explore-discover/arts-industry-program
In the coming fall, application season for grad schools will begin. Briona has her sights set on some of the best schools in the country and will be applying to a number of them. She is also applying for funding and hopes to be awarded grants and scholorships to help her higher education costs. Her chances of being accepted will be greatly increased if she dedicates the coming months to these residencies.
In many ways, this is the big moment for Briona as an artist. She has chosen this as her life path and the time has come for her to actualize the dream. If you are someone who appreciates her amazing talents and incredible spirit, we'd like to ask for your support. These endeavors will cost money and she has limited resources to make it happen. If the community comes together and pours fuel into her tanks, this little rocket is about to blast off into the sky.
What Your Donation Will Go To:
Briona will be living simply and finding affordable accommodations at the residencies that do not offer housing. She'll be living on a tight budget, but will need help with the following:
• Program Expenses (tuition & fees)
• Housing Expenses
• Travel Expenses (airfare & local commutes)
• Food & General Living Expenses
• Art Materials
• Shipping Art to You
As mentioned above, Briona will be leaving for Canada at the end of June. She has saved what little money she can, however your prompt contribution would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you SO much for considering supporting Briona and this epic life journey she is about to embark on. Without the help of her loving family and community, none of this would be possible. Please consider contributing what you can. If there ever was a good cause, this is definitely one of them.
About the Artist:
Learn more about Briona as an artist on her website here: http://brionahendren.com
Briona's Awards, Exhibitions, Honors & Activities:
• 2016 Namaste Foundation Artist
• 2016 Make-A-Thon Art Award
• 2015 Commence Sculpture Project Award
• 2017 Juried Group Summer Art Exhibition, DAC Gallery, Los Angeles, California
• 2017 The Next Generation Art Show, Arts Guild of Sonoma, Sonoma, California
• 2017 14th Annual National Arts Program Exhibition, Santa Rosa Recreation & Parks, Santa Rosa, California
• 2016 Emerging Artist Show, Healdsburg Center for the Arts, Healdsburg, California
• 2016 Sisters Exhibition, Honey Badger Coffee, Rohnert Park, California
• 2016 BFA Exhibition, Sonoma State University Art Gallery, Rohnert Park, California
• 2016 Juried Student Show, Sonoma State University Art Gallery, Rohnert Park, California
• 2015 High Art, Sonoma Coast Surf, Petaluma, California
• 2015 Commence Sculpture Project, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, California
• 2016 Make-A Thon, Rohnert Park, California (Art Category Finalist/Winner)
• 2015/2016 Healdsburg Center of the Arts, Healdsburg, California
Volunteer & Work Experience:
• 2016/2017 Head Welding & Metal Fabrication Teacher & Volunteer Staff, Chimera Arts & Makerspace, Sebastopol, California
• 2016/2017 Volunteer Art Tech Assistant & Teacher Assistant, Art Department, Sonoma State University
• 2016 Collections Management Team, Image Winery Collection, Sonoma State University
• 2015/2016 Assistant Curator, “Geometric Reflections: Celebrating Ten Years of Voigt Family Sculpture,” Paradise Ridge, Santa Rosa, California
• Sept/Oct 2015 Jury Team, “Secrets”, Museum of Contemporary Art, Marin, California
• 2007/2008 Photography Teacher Assistant, Ranch Cotati High School, Rohnert Park, California
• Founder & Executive Director, Weld Like a Woman
Briona would like to send all of you a special one-of-a-kind handmade art gift as a way of saying thank you for your donation. Could you please send me your mailing address so I can put a list together for her? Please message it to me on Facebook or here on the GoFundMe page.
Also, Briona will be taking photos of her work at the Calgary School of Art & Design as well as other residencies. I'll be updating you with them from time to time here. Stay tuned!