Chico's Cancer Fund
Maybe a month after his last prescribed dose of meds, the sores came back. They didn't seem nearly as bad this time, so I decided to just watch them closely. Then I happened to notice that he had a mass of sores by his ear. Back to the vet we went, and he suggested a blood test to see if we could figure out what could be causing them. The test showed that he's anemic and that he very likely has either lymphatic cancer or leukemia.
I'm a recent college graduate and still haven't found a job. I'm struggling to keep a roof over my head and have no way of paying for Chico's care. I'm not asking for money for myself, but for his medical care. He had a rough start in life, and I want to make the end of it as comfortable as possible.
Asking for help is difficult for me, but I feel I have no choice. He means the world to me, as does my other chihuahua. My dogs have been there for me when no one else has. I owe it to them both to do everything I can for them. My vet is willing to work with me on payments, but right now I can't even pay for the most basic of medical care. I don't know how much this will cost me, I just know it will be a lot. Any money left over, if there is any, will be either donated to an animal charity or shared with another blogger in need.
If you would prefer to donate to the vet directly, let me know and I'll provide that information to you.
Thank you so much! No amount is too small, and any amount truly does help!
The oncologist says that Chico's white blood cell count was off the charts. That tells him that Chico has chronic leukemia. He reiterated that animals with this condition can live a few weeks up to several more years. Chico's steroid dosage has been increased and he will remain on it indefinitely, probably for life. Thankfully this medication isn't expensive. I think I paid q little less than $20 for 50 pills.
The oncologist wants Chico to go back in about 4-6 weeks for another blood test. If the results have not improved, there is the possibility of him taking a cancer medication. The meds are very expensive though, he'd be on them for quite awhile and he would need to go in for a blood test every single month for an extended period of time.
The oncologist did not say anything today about doing a biopsy -- I think that's because he's certain of the diagnosis from the blood work.
While this is most distressing news, at least I have some answers now.