Barrett had his weight check this morning......no weight loss and no weight gain. They are not putting the tube back in as of now. We have to keep a food journal of everything he eats.
Update March 12th, 2018:
Barrett had treatment today and all went well. His feeding tube developed a clog over the weekend and I removed the feeding tube last night. From last Wednesday to today he has lost 2 lbs. They did not replace the feeding tube today. He will go back in Friday for a weight check, if he hasn't gained any weight back they will replace the feeding tube. Barrett has given us a list of places he wants to eat this week:)
Update February 23rd 2018:
Barrett is HOME! We got home yesterday late evening and had a busy night of medical equipment delivery and a visit from a home health nurse. Barrett will be receiving feeds through an NG tube (feeding tube through his nose) for the next couple of weeks. We are hoping this will help build his strength back up. He has treatment on Monday.
Update February 21st, 2018:
Barrett had an appointment this morning, a follow up appointment from his last hospital stay. He has lost 5lbs since the 13th of February. He is not eating or drinking much at all. The Dr wants him to get some IV fluids due to being dehydrated. Also he will be having a feeding tube placed to get some nutrients. Dr said this will be in place for a couple weeks and then evaluated to see what steps to take after that. Barrett will still have treatment on Monday February 26th.
Update February 13th 2018:
Barrett is HOME!!! We are able to manage the pain with a couple pain meds and a steroid!! He is feeling okay and hopes to make it to school the rest of the week:) Thank you for all the prayers, texts, calls, etc!!
Update Sunday February 11th 2018:
On Friday the 9th, Barrett was having bad abdominal pain. The Dr wanted him to come to the Emergency Department, he received some IV pain meds but it didn't help much. He was admitted into Dayton Children's early Saturday morning. He continues to receive IV pain meds along with oral pain meds. They have done Xray and blood work and everything has come back normal. His pain continues to sit between 5-8 on a 0-10 pain scale. He isn't eating much so they are going to be stsrting some IV nutrition today. They are scheduling a CT scan for tomorrow. Continued prayers for pain to subside.
Update June 30th 2017:
Barrett had a CT scan on Wednesday. We met with his oncologist today. Both spots (one on his right lung and one on his left lung) have both slightly increased in size. He is sending Barretts scans to the surgeon in Cincinnati. I will be contacting her office next week to discuss scheduling surgery.
Update May 1st:
Barrett had his follow up with the surgeon in Cincinnati today. All his incisions are healing great. She informed us that the radiology report of his CT from last Wednesday showed that the mass she wasn't able to get out last time is larger (this is on his left lung), there is also a mass on his right lung that had not shown up on any previous CT scans, and there is an area on his left lung near the staple line from his last surgery that they will be keeping an eye on.
Update March 31st:
Surgery is over. She removed the large tumor. Once the large tumor was removed the tube that was assisting him to breath had to moved and it started to inflate his lung. She had a hard time finding the smaller tumor and ended up taking out a large area.
Update March 29th:
Surgery is scheduled for Friday March 31st.
Barrett had his follow up with surgeon today and she is pleased with his healing. We are waiting on a call from scheduling for surgery on his left lung in Cincinnati, surgery will be sometime next week. It will be done laparoscopically and he will have a chest tube after surgery. She will be removing 2 tumors from his left lung and he will have 2-3 days hospital recovery.
Update March 1st:
He is out of surgery!!! Dr was able to remove all tumors from the right lung (4 in total in the lung), one from between the heart and lung, one near the esophagus and another from the lung that she was not sure on how to remove but she got it.
Update February 20th:
We just met with Barrett's Surgeon in Cincinnati. She is going to perform his surgeon in 2 different stages (2 separate surgeries). His first surgery is scheduled for March 2nd pending his counts are good enough for surgery. This surgery will be to remove 4 tumors off of his right lung. This will be an invasive surgery, will be about 3 hours and will have a recovery in the hospital of 5-7 days.
Update December 15th:
Barrett's surgery is finally over!! Surgery lasted over ten hours, but the surgeon was able to remove the involved portion of the liver as well as the affected lymph nodes just outside the liver. The portal vein she was concerned about was clear so no vein grafting was necessary...yay!! Again, thanks to all of you for your continued prayers and support.
Update December 2nd:
Surgery is scheduled for December 15th!!!! With surgery coming up, Barrett's Dr has recommended his last day of school to be this Friday December 9th, they want to keep him healthy for surgery.
Barrett, my six-year-old nephew, was recently diagnosed with stage 4 Hepatocellular Carcinoma. He began his first cycle of chemotherapy on June 1st at Dayton Children's. We are hoping to ease some of the financial burden that is soon to be placed on the family with the donations raised. Being from Springfield, the family will be doing their share of travelling to Dayton for treatments/appointments. The funds will be withdrawn by Barrett's parents (Brad/Jonathan and Lana) directly. Barrett has two younger sisters and an army of family and friends who are ready and willing to begin this journey with him.
For with God nothing shall be impossible.
~ Kristen Fitzsimmons