14/7: "The Power Of Possible"
Project: 14/7 "The Power of Possible"
In the year 2019, I plan to climb all 14 of the 8,000m Himalayan peaks in a single 7 month season. This will break the previous record of 7 years, 11 months and 14 days.
The project will support charitable foundations such as Mindfulness charities and the Nepal Youth Foundation (NYF), which are very close to my heart.
Coming from a military background, I have witnessed many friends and colleagues who have gone through mental distress and mental health issues during and post their time in the service. I would like to raise awareness and support this by implementing the importance of positive mental attitude for healthy wellbeing.
On the other hand, NYF offers hope and opportunity to Nepal’s most impoverished children by providing them what is every child’s birthright: vital healthcare, education and a safe environment.
For me to achieve this, I will need to raise GBP 750k. Currently, I am receiving some support from well-known brands; Inmarsat is providing satellite HD capability which will enable me to broadcast live from each summit as I progress.
Through gofundme page, I am trying to raise GBP 75,000 which will cover the costing for the second phase of my mission: K2, Nanga Parbat and Broad Peak in Pakistan
Who am I?
Hello, my name is Nirmal Purja known as Nims. I am a Gurkha and proud to have served in one of the British militaries most distinguished regiments in defence of the United Kingdom. I am also the first Gurkha to climb Mt Everest while serving the British Military and current holder of multiple World Records for the fastest ascent of double and triple header mountains in the higher than 8000m category.
This year, I was awarded an MBE for my outstanding achievement on high altitude mountaineering which includes,
1. Orchestrating the rescue of a stricken Indian climber, who had succumbed to cold weather injuries in the infamous ‘Everest Death Zone’. Although the rescue was gruelling, it was successful and the climber has made a full recovery.
2. Completion of the G200E Gurkha Expedition that took 13 Gurkhas to the top of Everest, for which I was lead instructor.
3. Fixing the all-important rope lines to summit of Everest. The original fixing team missed multiple windows due to bad weather so I formed a team and took care of this essential work. This action resulted in the safe and successful summit of G200E expedition as well as for all other teams and climbers on Mount Everest that season.
4. Shortly after the G200E Gurkha expedition I returned to the region and managed to set a number of world records during my 7 days spare leave:
My World Records
· The fastest time ever from the summit of Everest to the summit of Lhotse, taking a total of 10 hours 15 minutes, beating the previous record of 20 hours.
· The fastest consecutive summits of Everest, Lhotse and Makalu (Higher 8000m peaks) taking a total of five days.
· The first person to summit Everest twice, Lhotse once and Makalu once, in the same season, taking a total of 17 days.
I firmly believe that everything in life is possible armed only with a determined approach and positive mindset. That is how I managed all of the above and how I continue to live now.
Now that my military career is behind me, I will strive to break more boundaries and help others move forward in their lives, realise their dreams and exceed my and their limitations.
The Vision behind this project
· To break more than 77-speed world records on mountains above 8000m; the most challenging one being climbing all the 14 x 8000m peaks in 7 months in order to establish a paradigm shift in the perception of human potential.
· A unique opportunity to captivate the scientific research community and advance knowledge on the high-altitude adaptation and physiology, and educate people of all ages.
· Raise the awareness of climate change and global warming.
· To support Mindfulness charities to raise awareness of the importance mental health and National Youth Foundation that offers hope and opportunity to Nepal’s most impoverished children by providing vital healthcare, education and a safe environment to grow up in.
· To provide important opportunities for local Sherpas & guides to forge a career in the mountains.
· Promote the homeland of the Gurkhas among the 8000m mountains, and also to promote tourism with the Visit Nepal 2020 campaign.
I would and will appreciate any contribution regardless of size and I can assure you that any donations or sponsorship will be used exclusively for the project
For those who are looking to do something personal, I have some ideas that may interest you:
A. For contributions over £200, I will leave your choice of names – written on bio-degradable paper - at the top of the summit of your choice
B. If you contribute £5,000, I will leave your chosen names on the summit of the top of the 3 highest mountain or if you have another idea about how to honour your contribution I am more than willing to discuss further options
C. If you contribute £10,000 = on the summit of all 8000m peaks + other options
Any money raised above £750,000 will be donated to:
1) Nepal Youth Foundation
2) Mindfulness Charity
* If you have any specific request, please DM me on socials media and/or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please, help us spread the word! Use this link to share on social media and email:
The challenge is hard, but with your help, we will meet them. Let's create a history together next year!
Nirmal ‘Nims’ Purja MBE