#CodeStart is a 13 month coding, entrepreneurship, career readiness and financial readiness program innovated by Atlanta Workforce Development Agency, TechSquare Labs and Opportunity Hub. Our current cohort includes 17 disconnected youth and under-employed young adults from neighborhoods in the City of Atlanta. Over the 13 month period, the students commit to a 12 week fulltime, immersive coding bootcamp in which they learn Java. After successful completion, they receive career readiness, culture fit and financial literacy training. At that point, we work with the students to gain employment as a junior entry level computer programmer/developer/engineer. It gets better as the students will then participate in a part-time entrepreneurial pre-accelerator and incubator program for the remainder of the program. At the end, we aim to create a new software programmer and a technical cofounder of a high growth startup. The sky is the limit. It gets better. The students receive housing and a monthly living stipend.
Let's talk about the living stipend and how one of our students was impacted by systemic racism while simply trying to cash a money order.
Read about this experience here, https://storify.com/rodneysampson/adayinthelife
Give what you can.
Fly to Atlanta to mentor.
Hire our qualified candidates.
With humility and responsibility toward this definitive cause.
Chairman, Opportunity Hub
Chief, Diversity + Inclusion Initiatives, TechSquare Labs
#CodeStart #buildsomethingfromnothing #diversityistech
I hope all is well. I wanted to take a brake from our work to give you an update on how your donations have helped to advance the software developer careers of our CodeStart 2016-17 cohort.
Not so good news first.
- We've lost four students along the way. Only 13 of the original 17 remain.
- We still have a big funding gap. We're waiting for another $30K from The City of Atlanta; and have to raise another $150K (which includes the $30K) to complete the program from now until April 2017.
Now to the great news.
- Five of the students (Corey, KJ, Kat, Aaron and Tisha) started their paid internships as entry level Java programmers at Emory University's Biomedical Informatics Lab two weeks ago. One of the students will soon transition to Morehouse College of Medicine.
- We're working to place Sultan, Justin, Sonjtrez, Solomon, William, Jaylon and Phillip in paid Java based internships over the next 30-45 days. Let us know of any Atlanta based or virtual paid internship opportunities.
- The students completed an introduction to data science training sponsored by LexisNexis last week.
- Yesterday, the students started DeepStack, a 12-week part-time evening coding boot-camp created by TechSquare Labs and Cyberlaunch.VC startup, Cinchapi (Jeff Nelson). DeepStack is designed to take entry-level programmers to intermediate level. We'll keep you posted.
- Today, the cohort started their entrepreneurship classes at Georgia Tech's Advanced Technology Development Center.
Demo Day is Saturday, August 20th at TechSquare Labs. If you are in Atlanta, we welcome you to attend, atltechhire.eventbrite.com
How can you help?
Atlanta Workforce Development Agency committed $250,000. We're waiting (and praying) to receive the final $30,000. Our Opportunity Hub Ecosystem partners committed $100,000. That leaves $150,000.
Well, we could use your ongoing support to eradicate this gap. The use of proceeds includes student housing, living stipends and training program fees.
Please consider becoming a monthly supporter of at least $10/month. If 1,500 of you so this, we can generate $15,000/month for 10 months. If you all keep supporting, we can fund a full ride scholarship to The Iron Yard each month. There is always more work to do!
You are always welcome to give a one-time gift as well.
If you'd like to give more and would like to discuss, please post your request on this page.
Internships & Apprenticeships
If you’d like to hire our graduates as interns or provide an apprenticeship, please reach out on the page below.
Do what you can; and encourage someone in your network to do the same?
That’s it for now. Thank you in advance.
Start your home business right now. Spend more time with your family and earn. Start bringing $60/hr just on a computer. Very easy wayto make your life happy and earning continuously. Start here””....SD!88 Copy This Link inYour Browser.... >>>>>>>>>>>> ＷＷＷ.MaxPost30.ＣＯＭ
How do we volunteer time?
As someone who interacts with our students on a daily basis i can attest to the fact that our students are full of hope and excitement. During my interaction i know that our student's excitement comes from coding/learning how to code brings in their life. I really want them to see how the tech community as a whole supports them. Thank you for all your support.