This campaign is an attempt to raise funds to allow me to get my pug, Kandi, in to see a specialist to get a proper diagnosis and treatment. She's been through a great deal in her short five years. When I got her she had been diagnosed with MMM, a disease that is easily treatable with steroids if caught early, but if left untreated the jaw muscles atrophy and freeze closed. As a result she is on a regular treatment of prednisone.
She's always had some gastric issues that we were attempting to treat with diet. This was effective for a time. More recently she's had some recurring issues. She seemed lethargic, started drinking and peeing a lot more than usual, and couldn't seem to get comfortable. Bloodwork and urine samples showed an infection, and that she was anemic. We went one round of antibiotics, with little improvement. Samples of her urine sent off have no results. We tried a stronger antibiotic, but she had a bad reaction to it. She completely lost her appetite, was drinking even more, and was generally miserable. She went from 16lbs down to 13lbs. A third round of antibiotics, more bloodwork (same results), more urine samples (again came back with nothing), and an expensive ultrasound later have left the vets scratching their heads.
The ultrasound pointed to kidney abnormalities - a chronic illness or possibly a degenerative disease, but unless she sees a specialist, we can't get a definite diagnosis. More urine samples still showed nothing. So we are supposed to finish the antibiotic, wait a week, then retest. After that, all the vets can do is manage her symptoms with diet and such, unless we choose to pursue seeing a specialist.
It's been three days, and she's miserable. Her appetite returned midway through the last round of pills, but she's gained no weight. She's still lethargic, can't get comfortable, drinks and pees constantly - to the point she has started peeing the bed in her sleep, and has had to pee where she stands because she can't make it outside in time. She's nearly literally skin and bones. I'm so heartbroken to see her wasting away to nothing. I'm so afraid her kidneys are trying to give out on her, and I want desperately to find an answer before it's too late. Even if the answer isn't pretty. I'd rather know and make whatever choices we need to, than let her suffer and waste away like this. We are running out of rope.
She's such a spunky gal. When she gets wound up she tucks her li'l hiney in and runs through the house looking like a jellybean. She loves to lay against our legs with her head resting on an ankle. She's a huge clown and full of life. She also has youth on her side. She has so much life yet to live. She still has that little sparkle in her eyes. I can't let her down.
And that's why I'm here. Between us, we've spent over $600 each on vet visits, tests, and treatments. And while I don't care about the money... it's necessary to further her care and to allow us a diagnosis and treatment plan. We are basically tapped out until next month, and she cannot wait that long. I am in need of your help.
So please, absolutely anything you can spare is appreciated. Even $1. Or a share on social media.
And, I've decided to try and offer something in exchange for your time, effort, and donations!
☆ For everyone who donates $25
or more, I will make you a half pan of homemade fudge.
☆ For everyone who donates $50
or more, I will make you a large chunk of homemade fudge as well as a bag of homemade peanut brittle.
☆ For everyone who donates $75
or more, I will make you some homemade fudge, some homemade peanut brittle, and some homemade caramel rice crispy treats.
☆ Anyone who donates at least $5
will receive a thank you card. Woof!
This goal of $600 is only a guess. We don't know just yet how much seeing a specialist will cost, but anything above (if there is any) will also go for her care in one way or another.
☆♡☆ Thank you all so much!