Help Alice Fight HUS E. Coli

Hello Supporters, friends and community,

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit this campaign page and learn about the current condition of my 18 month old niece, Alice. She is currently fighting the fight of her life. I will do my best to post updates as they become available.


Just last week, during a family camping trip to Yellowstone National Park to celebrate their anniversary, 18 month old Alice fell ill. Parents Marie and Trent cut their trip short and drove home immediately. After finding blood in her diaper shortly after arriving home, Alice was rushed to her doctor and from there they were told to go to the emergency room. After a variety of tests the doctors discovered a rare and harmful form of E Coli (Shiga Toxin Producing E Coli) in Alice's system. Alice has been in the hospital for the past few days under close monitoring. The doctors and nurses are doing their best to keep her stable but the only treatment for this E Coli is to keep her hydrated and full of probiotics via IV and to let it run its course. The doctors keep saying they can go home once she can keep water down. This hasn’t been possible and she was moved this morning to a longer-stay room at the children’s hospital.

The waiting game is so hard and while the odds are in her favor, the most we can do at this point is wait and hope that she comes out in the 80% of kids who beat this. The other 20% are at risk of developing HUS, hemolytic uremic syndrome, which is a severe complication affecting organs and can result in renal (kidney) failure, hemolytic anemia, and thrombocytopenia. There is a 5% mortality rate for patients who develop HUS. This is a VERY serious strain of E. Coli.

Alice will continue to need medical attention for an undetermined amount of time although we hope every day she will keep fluids down and get to go home and be cozy in her own space. Right now Alice is lethargic, hungry (she hasn’t eaten in 3 days), thirsty and is confused. She isn’t sure what she did wrong to make everyone withhold water from her.

 

While Alice’s parents are spending all of their time at her bedside, we want to ensure that the last worry on their minds is about missing work, affording the medical treatment and paying their bills. The funds raised will go directly to Marie and Trent to help cover their expenses. We are asking for any contribution you can afford and to help share this campaign so more people can see it.


Marie and Trent are incredible parents. Alice is their world. She is a sweet, funny, and loving little girl who is so excited to become a big sister in November. They would, and are doing everything they can to get her the medical attention she needs. No family deserves to face these hardships alone, and no family should have to worry about their finances while a family member struggles with health.

Please contribute, if you can, to show your support for this amazing young family and please share this campaign!

Also – please, at this point, do NOT contact Marie or Trent directly. Please respect their need for privacy while they offer as much love and attention and support to their fighting Alice. Any condolences or words of encouragement can be posted to the campaign page. They are not near their phones or computers much and it may be overwhelming to feel the need to respond to private messages and well wishes when they need to be attending to their daughter.

Thank you for your understanding and for your support.

Love, Aunt Claire

https://www.cdc.gov/ncezid/dfwed/pdfs/national-stec-surveillance-overiew-508c.pdf

Donations ()

  • Anonymous 
    • 200 $ 
    • 31 mos
  • Angela Blickensderfer 
    • 100 $ 
    • 31 mos
  • nancy hsu 
    • 50 $ 
    • 31 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • 100 $ 
    • 31 mos
  • Elizabeth Martin 
    • 50 $ 
    • 31 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Bobbi Dan Claire Claire 
Organizer
Salt Lake City, UT
Trent Raleigh 
Beneficiary
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more