Will George is an Indigenous land defender, grassroots leader and member of the Tsleil-Waututh Nation. He has been fighting for almost five years to stop the Trans Mountain Pipeline expansion (TMX) from being built. He is doing this for his family, the land, the water, the orcas – for all the animals and for all of us.
Will is currently in jail serving a 28-day sentence for breaching a Trans Mountain Pipeline injunction. Efforts are being made to get him out of jail as he plans to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada.
“Canada” is continuing its long history of oppression and colonial violence towards Indigenous people. It continues to criminalize Indigenous people for defending their territory from destructive extractive projects.
Funds will go to legal support and towards leading ceremonial canoe journeys that bring people together, raise awareness and protect his people and waters the Trans Mountain Pipeline expansion.
WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?
- The Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion (TMX) is being built through unceded land without the consent of his Nation.
- TMX will increase tanker traffic sevenfold, creating an almost guaranteed risk of oil spills. This threatens the survival of the critically endangered Southern Resident orcas.
- TMX fuels the climate crisis by tripling oil piped from the tar sands when we need to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels. TMX is also projected to lose the Canadian government at least $12 Billion.
- TMX supports the ongoing colonization of First Nations.
- Colonial governments suppressed ceremonial canoe journeys for hundreds of years, but, over the last 30 years, First Nations and Sovereign Tribes have brought the journeys back. This movement has been a critical element of Indigenous resurgence, empowerment, stewardship, and sovereignty.
DONATE now, whatever you can. $5, $25, $100, $1000… Anything helps!
SHARE with friends and family and help spread the word!