Whats the story?
Short story, since hurricane Maria, we have been volunteering with a medical brigade bringing care to our community in Condado, Ocean Park, Loiza Street, Punta Las Marias, neighboring areas of Santurce and more. We have an extensive list of patients that suffer from Alzheimers, Diabetes, Stroke, Heart Disease, Bedridden, Kidney Failure, Cancer and other illnesses.
UPDATE: WE ARE COVERING ALL PUERTO RICO NOW
Many of these people simply need POWER TO PRESERVE THEIR MEDICATIONS or PLUG THEIR MEDICAL DEVICES, and the list grows on a daily basis as other communities send us their data and reach out for help. After hurricane Maria the estimated time to reestablish the electrical power grid is in the range of months, and people need treatment from their medical devices and refrigeration of their medicines NOW.
As certified professional electrical engineers and energy managers, we know that the smartest and most effective way to engage our efforts short and long term for these people that have the urgency is by INSTALLING SIMPLE SOLAR-POWERED SYSTEMS THAT WILL EXCLUSIVELY RUN THESE MEDICAL DEVICES.
With your help, we will bring sustainable, long lasting solutions to those in need. 100% of your donation will go towards the costs of materials and installation to get this done. No overhead.
What is the need?
Electricity for critical medical equipment urgently needed by patients of:
Why is it needed?
• Alarmingly large list of patients not receiving care continues to grow
• The majority of hospitals are still closed after the hurricane
• Estimated time required to re-establish the electrical power grid: months?
• The vast majority of people in urgent need for this help:
- Lack the resources to acquire a backup generator
- Are unable to wait in lines for gasoline or fuel
- Do not have the physical capacity to transport the contained fuel to where it would be utilized
How we will do this?
3 Receta Solar setup types:
• Receta Solar Window Setup
Costs around $1k to $3k, Helps Up to 5 People
For patients without a roof who have very small energy needs such as a medical bed or other very low wattage devices
• Receta Solar Single Setup
Costs around $3k to $5k, Helps Up to 5 People
For patients that have a roof and small energy needs such as respiratory equipment, refrigeration of medicines, and other low wattage devices
• Receta Solar Group Setup
Costs around $3k to $15k, Helps Up to 30 People
For facilities housing groups of patients with available roofs, shared refrigeration equipment, and individual treatment devices
How many people will we help?
As many as we can. We will prepare a solar energy prescription (Receta Solar) depending on the patient’s needs to maximize the reach.
Our initial $25k goal will be immediatly utilized to help the maximimum number of people. We do not need to reach the goal to start installations. We will start with whatever is attained and keep you posted on the progress.
What are we asking for?
• Funding to acquire and install small dedicated off-grid solar systems for these patients
•Equipment donations are welcome. We may be able to integrate for good use. Amazon Wish List Link:
• Volunteers are welcome. We will provide training and put them to work for the cause
Who are we?
• Gabriel Arturo Rivera, PE, LEED® AP, CEM
• Beatriz Menéndez-Conde, PE, LEED® AP, CEM
Licensed Electrical Engineers
Certified Photovoltaic Systems Designers and Installers
Certified Energy Auditors and Managers
LEED Accredited Professionals since 2006
Over 300+ solar energy projects
Over 15 years of professional experience
Permanent Residents of Puerto Rico
Letter of Intent
As you read this we are compiling a list of patients suffering from Alzheimers, Diabetes, Stroke, Heart Disease, Bedridden, Kidney Failure, Cancer and other illnesses that require immediate attention in Puerto Rico after hurricane Maria. We currently have over two hundred people in need of medicines, water, food, or power to preserve their medications and plug thier medical devices in the areas of Condado, Ocean Park, Loiza Street, Punta Las Marias, neighboring areas of Santurce and more; and the list grows on a daily basis as other communities send us their data and reach out for help.
The damage to the island’s infrastructure after hurricane Maria is so great that the estimated time required to re-establish the power grid is in the range of months. Furthermore, transportation and distribution of large and heavy equipment is currently impeded by scarcity of fuel, clogged ports, flooding, roads blocked with massive debris, and lack of telecommunications.
The fastest and most effective way to acquire this equipment is to purchase from local vendors, which also supports the local economy. If any materials are unavailable locally we would then move to source from outside, which can take more time to get delivered.
Depending on the need and number of people affected in an area we will instal either a single or group solar module system. These systems are designed exclusively to power medical devices such as respirators, nebulizers, position beds, IV machines and mini-pharmacy refrigerators.
The list of equipment and components that we are considering as critically helpful is the following.
This is what the funds will be used for:
- PV (Solar) Modules (mono, poly, 60-cell, 72-cell, framed or foldable or rolled, any manufacturer, any brand)
- Off-Grid Inverters (i.e Outback, Schneider/Xantrex, SMA, or any off-grid inverter that DOES NOT require a power grid or telecommunications for setup)
- Deep Cycle Batteries (12V 100Ah/200Ah AGM preferred but any will work)
- Charge Controllers (any manufacturer, any brand, similar to one in sample setup)
- Breakers: 20A/2P 240V enclosed
- Volt-Amp MultiMeters for installation
- Electrical Wire #12 AWG THHN/THWN
- Electrical Conduit PVC Schedule 40 - 3/4" trade size
- Basic small construction tools that do not require electrical power
- Battery charged construction tools
Thank you for your time, I welcome any feedback and hope for your assistance in resolving this life threatening matter and working towards a safer, healthier Puerto Rico.
Gabriel Arturo Rivera, PE, CEM, LEED® AP
Ingeniero Electricista - Lic. 21367
Verdifica PSC - Ingeniería Eléctrica Sostenible
Status of Infrastructure as of 10/6/2017:
- Electrical Utility Recovery: 10.7%
- Hospitals in service: 68 (for 3.5 Million People)
Optional Donation through ATH Móvil: 7876324120 (cell number) with note "SOLAR FOR VITAL RELIEF - PUERTO RICO"
We will transfer your donation to this GoFundMe campaign. Include your name if you wish to appear in the list of donors.