Sally Sunshine needs our help
Eighteen years ago, Sally had an accident while riding her bicycle, which left her a quadriplegic. Although this has not crushed her spirit, it has left her health compromised. She is now sixty-seven and has recently had more serious health complications and increased pain through her body. This has brought to light the possibility that she may not be around for as long as all those who love her would like. This “GoFundMe” has been created in the hopes of giving her the best quality of life for the time that she has left. Hopefully, this will give her a second wind that will help her continue shining, smiling and giving for as long as she can.
Sally opens her home, her arms and her heart to anyone who is in need. For as long as she has had a home she has had an open door to all. Youth that needed a safe space, a meal, a bed or advice, that other wise would have found themselves on the street. Mothers and children, who were struggling financially, mentally or physically ill persons, as well as bright smiling travelers, friends, family and community; all have found comfort and sanctuary at Sally’s.
In every way possible, Sally has fought for the environment, peace, equality and justice. She has been a spokesperson for aboriginal rights, had an important role at blockades against clear cutting and any chance she could, she has rallied people together to stand up for what they believe is right. She is a true peacekeeper and Protector of the Earth.
Sally is deeply loved. When she had her accident, hundreds of cards flooded the hospital. Any photo of her that goes up on social media is received with so much love. People love her from far and wide because she is always shining. We want her to keep shining!!
The money from this fundraiser will be used for these things:
· The first one is to get her to Cuba this coming winter. The winter brings colds and flus and that opens the door for her to get pneumonia. Last year it took all her energy to not slip away. We are scared that with her compromised health she may not be able to handle another bout of this illness. Pneumonia is by far the leading cause of deaths for quadriplegics. For this reason, we as family and close friends try to take her to warm climates for these crucial months. She will need to cover the rent for a house in Cuba and traveling costs while she is there. Homecare workers, friends and family will take turns caring for her.
· Sally’s home needs a lot of improvements. If she had the funding she would make the bathroom wheel chair accessible and put in the appropriate lifting equipment to get her into the bath.
· A complex water filtration system needs to be installed as the water in her house is brown and when tested we found unsafe levels of coliforms.
· The roof also needs to be fixed within the next year
· Money would also be used for bodywork, physiotherapy, dental work, and other health practices that are not covered by the government and will add to her wellbeing.
· Sally also has a dream of turning her beautiful studio into an art community/ teahouse. This space would be used for free art classes for children and adults, life drawing, live music, philosophers evening, poetry reading and creative space to bring inspiration into her own life and others. This could grow into something very amazing.
Sally is not frivolous. Although she has always lived well below the poverty line, she has managed to feed and care for so many others, while also being a loving mother to three children and a grandmother to two. For many of us, this is an opportunity to give back. The funds will be used to give Sally a better quality of life and support her in her desire to continue to shine and help others.
Please, if you know Sally, comment on this campaign page and tell your story of how she inspired or helped you. Share this post and help to get the word o ut. Tell people how she touched you so that others can see how much she deserves support now. Help us help her. We are deeply grateful for every dollar donated.
Thank you for your time
Sally's Care team
This gofund me page was set up to better Sally's life. It now will be used for what she would've wanted, to help her children with the final expenses and to help cover her mortgage for the next few months.
Thank you for all your support and kind messages.
Thankyou Shawna, sending peace and love.
thank you shawna, sending my love and prayers to your family. miss our girl, she is dancing
I have a terrific picture of Sally standing on the Kennedy River bridge with her fist raised in the first light of dawn as we set up our breakfast fires for the another morning of the Clayoquot blockade. I wish her well and thank all those who have watched out for her as she watched out for others.
Sending lots of love along with the donation. ❤️