RuthAnn's Trauma Recovery Fund

$32,253 of $40,000 goal

Raised by 723 people in 1 month
Created November 12, 2018
This is Kris Simon, I'm a friend of RuthAnn Thompson's. With RuthAnn's blessing, I wanted to share what happened last night after we parted ways in front of my apartment at 9pm, after spending a wonderful day celebrating a birthday. 

On November 11th at 9:45pm RuthAnn was filling up her gas tank at a well-lit station that was about a block from her home. She had opened her car door to get in when a man came at her from behind brandishing a gun, and demanded her car keys. RuthAnn attempted to just get in her car and shut the door, but he came at her and hit her repeatedly on both sides of the head with his gun. She fought back against the pistol-whipping and threw a punch to his face, breaking his glasses, and got into the car and slammed the door shut, locking herself in. The man sauntered off. She called 9-1-1 and couldn't get through. She hung up and tried again and left it ringing, and after making sure the man wasn't around, got out of the car and tried to go into the gas station where the attendant was, along with another customer. The attendant (a female), told her to get out and stay outside (this enraged me when I heard it). The other customer (a male) was immediately concerned and attempted to help. 

When the police arrived, RuthAnn was able to give a description of the man and the gun he had, which was identified as a Glock. They called an ambulance as she was bleeding heavily from her head and was covered in blood. She had also lost the hearing in her right ear. This is when I received her phone call at 10:15pm, which is a call I hope no one ever has to get. RuthAnn was crying hysterically and I will never forget her words: "I was attacked at the gas station near my house, he beat me with a metal bar and I managed to fight back, but the police are here and I'm being taken to the hospital and I need someone to come get my car."

I think I sounded more calm than I felt...because internally,  I lost it. I asked who had the car keys, and I heard her give my name to the officer who would stay with the car until I got there. I asked what hospital she was being taken to, and she said she would text me when she knew.  It felt like it took forever to throw on clothes and shoes and get out the door, but the reality is that from the time I hung up to the time we arrived at the gas station, it was only 25 minutes.  The officer told me where she was, she told me RuthAnn was incredibly brave (I started crying) and had provided a description. They also told me that (unfortunately) this guy would most likely strike again and that's when they would catch him.

It would be 2 hours in the ER before they would let me see RuthAnn. She was still bleeding and they needed to put 2 more staples in addition to the 4 that were already put in, after shaving her head.

She was in shock, shaking uncontrollably and despite being on morphine and 2 shots of dilaudid, I had to hold her legs as they put more staples into her head.

I was with her until 3:30am, she was throwing up, but all her head scans came back okay. No concussion, brain trauma or spinal injuries! However, this was when RuthAnn let me know that she had just found out that her insurance had lapsed. She had called just a few days earlier because she had found out that her current auto-payment hadn't cleared from her checking. She had been planning on taking care of it today, Monday. So no insurance, an ambulance ride, and a whole lot of pain killers (the doctor literally used the phrase "the best money can buy") and scans. This is what brings us here to GoFundMe.

RuthAnn can't work her normal background acting jobs, and is in between events (it's the holidays), so she has no income coming in right now. She needs to move out of the neighborhood she is in, where she was attacked. The medical expenses, plus living expenses and moving expenses are going to cost more than what she has or can quickly make. We're not sure what the exact costs are going to be, but we did some preliminary research and estimated this amount to be conservative and figured we could always adjust once the bills come in.

Those of you who know RuthAnn, know that she is a positive, cheerful human being who brings light into the world.  Anything you can give to help her cover her living expenses while she recovers will help. And will also help to alleviate the medical bills that will be arriving as well as to get her out of her place and into a safer neighborhood. 

If you can't donate, please share this so we can get RuthAnn on the road to being herself again as soon as possible.  You have our deepest gratitude.
+ Read More
One and a half boxes of tissues later, I finally went through and sent thank you notes to everyone of you that donated to my Go Fund Me.

The fact that so many people came together- friends, family, past teachers, people I haven't seen in 20 years (or more) and complete strangers- to help me through this is so overwhelming. I am so grateful and start crying every time I think about it.

Between the donations, kind messages and support, I don't know if you realize just how much you have all saved me. I don't know if I can describe the black hole of fear, doubt and despair that opened up within me after the attack. It was like everything was being pulled from me and I was falling into it. Between my health, bills and fear/lack of faith in humanity I felt so broken and alone.

And you all saved me from that. I'm may still in pain and weak but my health and hearing is getting a little better every day. And though I'm still waiting on my full extent of bills, if the Victim's Assistance Program can help me and if I will need surgery to get full hearing back, I know I'm not alone and I'll be OK, because of ALL OF YOU.

From the bottom of my heart and soul, thank you all so much for saving me.
+ Read More
From RuthAnn:

UPDATE Day 5 since the incident: As always, thank you all so much for your love, support and donations. I need them now more than ever.

This morning woke up with severe pain and ended up throwing up 3 times. That coupled with the fever yesterday brought us to the doctor today.

The fever is normal, my body is working in overdrive to heal. The vomiting & nausea will continue due to the head trauma and pain. As I heal I will slowly be able to open my mouth and chew, but not for a while. My hearing in my right ear “should” come back. There is a hole in my right ear drum so there is a possibility it will never come back fully.

Good news: I can get my staples out on Tues.
Bad news: I can no longer use any narcotics for pain management. It is too dangerous since there is still a risk of brain hemorrhage. So I will now only be able to take prescription strength Tylenol.

A HUGE special thanks to the Loot Crate family and the Motion Picture & Television Foundation for helping me immensely with all the details. I truly couldn’t have done this without you.

Through all this pain and trauma you are truly keeping me strong when I feel the weakest. Thank you all so very much
+ Read More
I wanted to share an update with everyone from RuthAnn and her mom. This afternoon, we picked up RuthAnn's mom from the airport and I drove them back to her place. RuthAnn wanted to make this "thank you" video for me to share with you all.

She wanted me to especially mention our friend Jennifer Clymer, who was with us at dinner on Sunday night before this all happened. Jennifer works with the Motion Picture & Television Fund and has been instrumental in connecting us with social workers and insurance experts to help RuthAnn navigate the new landscape she finds herself in. They have been kind and compassionate and have made sure RuthAnn can rest and have peace of mind while they do the heavy lifting and determine how to best help her move forward. We both cannot say enough good things about MPTF and our friend Jen. Seriously, she's a Godsend and we love her.

There's many more to thank, so I'll let RuthAnn finish this update!

+ Read More
This picture was taken after we cleaned up RuthAnn (using gauze and wet wipes). She was heavily sedated, but the bleeding had finally slowed down. I just wanted to show everyone what a trouper she is! Here's a note from RuthAnn to everyone who has shared or donated:

To say thank you to everyone who has reached out, messaged, called and supported me through all this isn’t enough. After the nightmare of Sunday night all of your kind words and donations have reminded me there is still good in this world.

I finally got some sleep since the attack. I’m in a lot of pain, still can’t hear out of my right ear or chew but all of you have kept me strong when I feel terrified and everything is broken.

I wish there was a more eloquent way to express my gratitude, but for now all I can say is THANK YOU
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$32,253 of $40,000 goal

Raised by 723 people in 1 month
Created November 12, 2018
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
4 days ago
10 days ago
Jevin Hunter
10 days ago
Beth Kawasaki
12 days ago
Tom Paulo
15 days ago
Kyle Lewis
16 days ago
18 days ago
18 days ago
Scott McMillan
18 days ago
Kay Chilson
19 days ago
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.