OB-KC (Ocean Beach Kellys Cove) is a weather / beach conditions website that has been operating as a public service in San Francisco since 2009.
OB-KC serves beach users, surfers (board / wind / kite) and residents of the Outer Richmond District and Bay Area.
Funds will be used to purchase equipment including a new web server, IP web cam, new sensors for the weather station and cover hosting and service costs for 2 years.
OB-KC 2.0 will be lighter, more stable and less maintenance-intensive than the original.
Over 100,000 unique visitors tune into OB-KC every year. If you have enjoyed this non-commercial site in the past, please consider contributing a few dollars to get us back on line.
The basic site is up - http://ob-kc.com
We will be adding features over the next month and could use your input.
Target features include:
1. Alerts for weather advisories: high wind, small craft, high surf, flood and high bacteria.
2. Time lapses movies – every hour and each day. These consist snapshots (every minute) stitched together to make a movie for the past hour. This will be similar to previous site.
3. Snapshot button for viewers to save the current, high rez (3K X 2K) frame to their hard drive. Could also include a record button if there is demand but this could fill up someone's hard drive fast.
4. NOAA Wave forecast animation
5. Infrared satellite map - GOES NE Pacific
6. Interactive sensor graphs similar to the Weather Underground - temp, wind speed and direction, barometer, rainfall.
No flash this round.
If you have an ideas or requests, let us know. Happy to incorporate as this is YOUR site.
hugh at ob-kc dot com