Help Chronically Ill Irma Victims
We are a couple both with chronic illnesses which eat up all our income in medical bills. We were hit hard by hurricane Irma, had a tree fall on the roof, and have a $15000 hurricane deductible. Our homeowner's insurance required us to mitigate further damage with temporary repairs (or they wouldn't pay the claim) which we had to make using credit cards. They didn't assign us an adjuster until a month after the storm, and still haven't processed the claim now more than 2 months since Irma. We are running out of money, our roof is leaking, there is now mold in the house which is exacerbating our medical problems being one of us is on oxygen with lung disease (the other has pancreatic cancer). We need to repair the home now to avoid hospitalization, or else just walk away from the home and mortgage. $50,000.00 would allow us to replace the roof and broken windows, and to recoup the hurricane deductible to put toward medical bills. Won't you help us?+ Read More
Yes, we are STILL waiting for Citizens insurance to address our claim for roof damage following hurricane Irma which dropped a tree on our roof! They want to re-inspect AGAIN now, after requesting photos at least 4 times, doing multiple inspections, requesting property damage reports, made us pay for a roof report, & get roof estimates. They are hoping we will give up and go away. Now it's almost hurricane season again and we still have a damaged and leaky roof, and water leaks when it rains that cause stains and mold. We have already spent $8K of our own money in insurance-ordered mitigation and having the damaged trees cut. Meanwhile, the medical bills just keep piling up. I hope we don't lose the house; with all the damage to it, we'd have to sell at a loss and wind up still owing the bank.
Caroline is home from hospital and on ordered bed rest. Not sure what the point of getting vaccines is when they don't work. This is her 3rd bout of pneumonia since getting the pneumonia vaccine. Citizens has STILL not paid our claim. Thankfully it doesn't rain as much this time of year so the roof leaks are at bay for the moment though the mold from leaks following hurricane lingers. The tree guy we paid never came back to finish the job so we still have remainder of 2 toppled trees to contend with but no money to do anything about it.
So Caroline is back in the hospital. Taken Thanksgiving evening. If we don't get this mold prob solved soon, it could kill her.
We are so grateful to receive our first two donations. Every little bit helps. Still no word yet from insurance company regarding our claim. They just keep asking for more pics and sending more forms to fill out. FEMA denied us for all but the initial immediate needs grant ($500 back in Sept), as did the SBA loan program which said we demonstrated no ability to be able to repay it (umm, DUH!) but you had to apply for it & be rejected first to be considered for other aid programs. So that's where we are for now.