Giuseppe and Vito here. During the last 4 years we have contributed, with our skills, passion and enthusiasm, to the success of the iconic Arriva Italian Restaurant in Brisbane, with the strong ambition to become part of the Australian community. Why we have launched this campaign.
Matthew Qin (director of the business) and Natasha Yuan (shareholder), during their time at Arriva were able, among other questionable behaviours, to take some negative actions against us and other employees of the restaurant:
- In different occasions, during service and meeting, Matthew committed verbal abuse
, explicitly threatening some of the workers, and suggesting one of them to commit suicide.
- Matthew clearly called one of our co-workers “puttana” (slut in English) and suggested a gay person a cure for his sexual preferences
. This is unfair and discriminating.
- Those dishonest people evaded taxes
, by not paying the PAYG to the ATO and paying some of the employees under the table.
- Their conduct has been that nefarious to reach the point where they stopped paying the rent of the shop, causing the closure of the restaurant and locking us out.
- On top of everything mentioned above, recently Matthew has tried to extort
us for a large amount of money if we wanted to keep the company alive for visa purposes. That is not all, as he also asked for money in exchange for some easily achievable documents that the Home Affairs Dep. requested to process the Permanent Residency application.
As a consequence of the nefarious ownership of Arriva, the restaurant was closed unexpectedly, leaving us out in the rain. Under our current condition, we are unable to accept any other jobs and we will soon, undeservedly, be forced out of the country. Before doing so, we want our story to be heard and hope that other 457 visa holders don’t suffer our same fate:
to be manipulated, abused and held hostage by “sponsors” that use the dream of skilled people like us to become citizens of Australia to their advantage, however illegal.
Unfortunately, we did not get from authorities such as the Fair Work Ombudsman
and the Home Affairs Dept.
, the protection we were hoping for.
The directors put in place an evil plan, deciding to go into liquidation many months ago without notifying anyone of their real intention. This gave them the chance to avoid the payment of our long overdue entitlements (such as salaries, annual leaves and superannuation contributions) and left us with no hope to get our hard-earned money, as we cannot access the FEG
(Fair Entitlement Guarantee) Fund, which is inexplicably reserved to Australians and Permanent Residents only.
Even on the Immigration side, we, as 457 Visa Holders, are in a weak position, because our destiny is indissolubly tied to the business, leaving to dishonest employers (like ours) the freedom to make of people’s life whatever they want and get away with that.Our Goals - What we will be using the funds for:
- Supporting us with our living expenses during this period
- Reach out to lawyers to request further legal assistance
- Campaign to expose the issues caused by a lack of protection from the Australian Government towards 457 Visa Holders like us and other skilled people in order to improve the terrible working conditions.
Please follow us on our FB page: https://www.facebook.com//helparrivaguys
Any donation that you can afford is greatly appreciated and can help contribute to a great cause.
Please share with family and friends.
Thank you for your support.