Nederlandse vertaling hier .
Welcome to Talbot House in Flanders Fields, Belgium. This Every Man's Club was home from home for half a million soldiers during the Great War.The club offered a respite from the trench horrors. Here soldiers could relax in a comfortable chair, borrow a book from the library, catch up with a mate through Friendship's Corner, come into the garden and forget about the war. Reverend Tubby Clayton opened his doors in 1915 and except for the WW2 interruption, the House has been open continuously since. The club relied heavily on scroungers at the time and was always run on a Robin Hood principle, contribute a skill or give what money you can.
Today, the House is both a living museum and a guesthouse but also very much a home from home for thousands of pilgrims who visit the area today. The chapel stands testimony to the men who came here to find the courage to face the frontline again.
All of these tales of Talbot House are told in an impressive new exhibition, originally set to open its doors to the public in April. Sadly, due to the coronavirus, Talbot House also has had to close its doors. The opening of the new permanent exhibition has hence been postponed. This closure is the first one since our liberation in 1944 and comes as a big blow.
Due to the huge investment in the new exhibition, which didn’t get any subsidies, and the forced closure, which leaves us without an income for the time being, we have to scrape the barrel. Even though the staff have been placed on temporary unemployment and many costs cut, the Old House needs almost continuously renovating and maintenance. As a non profit charity, we also work with a lot of volunteers who are now unable to assist. When we do reopen, we fear we will run at a loss as we keep receiving many cancellations till even the end of the year. The spring and summer usually have to provide us with an income for the winter, which is now unlikely. If we don’t take action now, Talbot House might not be there next year.
Talbot House still serves a purpose today. It’s of incredible educational value for visiting schools. It is a listed House with incredible stories of those soldiers who founded the House. Today, as real as then, the place offers a welcoming and friendly home from home in Flanders fields. We just can't give in now. Our home has survived two World Wars and surely most overcome this.
Please #StandwithTalbotHouse and save the club. The funds we raise should allow us to keep the club afloat and in good shape during closure. Once we reopen, the remainder should allow us to make ends meet and carry us through the next calm period. Internally, another huge cost saving exercise is being done as well. Give what you can in the true spirit of Tubby and his Talbotousians.
In return for your support we offer all sorts of rewards which you can find below. We plan to keep the club open virtually during this crisis with regular stories and reports on social media. Please #StandwithTalbotHouse and pledge what you can.
- 20 EUR Invite to our ‘liberation party’ when the House reopens after this lockdown, including a delicious brunch and a visit to the House & exhibitions with story tours and entertainment.
Receive a 10 Tales of Talbot House, a museum guide with ten great stories on the history of the club, including free posting in the EU & UK.
Come and pick up a free Talbot House Rose, a beautiful pink flower named after the club.
- 40 EUR Bronze Talbotousian Membership for 2 people incl. free entrance to House & exhibitions all year and regular updates. Come and enjoy the green garden or a cup of tea whenever you feel like it.
- 60 EUR The Upper Room – A collector’s publication on the chapel of Talbot House with some amazing stories and offering an overview of the artefacts and their history, incl. free posting in EU & UK.
- 80 EUR Silver Talbotousian Membership for 2 people with 10% reduction in the guesthouse & shop plus a cooked breakfast voucher as well as entrance to the House & exhibitions all year and regular updates.
- 100 EUR Gold Talbotousian Membership for 1 person with 10% reduction in the shop & guesthouse plus a voucher for an overnight stay in the guesthouse incl. breakfast, free entrance to the House & exhibitions all year round and regular updates. (130 EUR = joint membership & voucher for 2 people)
- 150 EUR Story Tour with friends. Discover Talbot House with one of our story tellers. Find out some hidden gems and forgotten stories. Bring ten friends to enjoy a cup of tea in the green garden.
- 300 EUR In the footsteps of Gilbert Talbot. Join one of our dedicated story tellers as we visit the battlefield where the young Lieutenant who gave his name to the House fell. Hear the eye-witness accounts and see unique archive footage. Together we visit the Hooge Crater Museum (included) and pay homage to his grave. Join us with 20 friends on a unique off the beaten track battlefield tour.
- 600 EUR Experience Talbot House overnight. Spend a fun and relaxing evening at Talbot House and stay the night in the authentic guesthouse with 10 friends. Join Pte. Arthur Pettifer on a discovery tour of the House with stories of the night. Next morning, enjoy a cooked breakfast before discovering the exhibitions and exploring the garden.
- 1000 EUR Lifetime Talbotousian Membership with free entrance to the House & its exhibitions . Get regular updates and 10% reduction in the shop and guesthouse.
- 1300 EUR Joint Lifetime Talbotousian Membership for two people with and lifetime free entrance to the House & its exhibitions. Get regular updates and 10% reduction in the shop and guesthouse.
- 2000 EUR Sponsorship deal for Businesses. Get your logo on our board at the entrance of Talbot House. For more details, please contact us.
- jean versraete
- Gordon Turner
- Western Front Association Ox & Bucks Branch
- Johan Martin
- Daniel Ashworth