Rally for Ramey

Its hard to know even where to begin. This last week, of this journey we call life, has been harder than anything I've ever had to endure. We are starting a blog to keep everybody who loves Ramey up to date on his progress.

How we got here:
On Friday, January 23rd, we had planned to leave for a family trip to Tahoe to visit Casey and Katie and take Ryder skiing for his 6th birthday. On Friday Ramey woke up around 3:30 am complaining of neck pain and tingling in his arms and legs. He took some Alieve, and went back to sleep, but still had pain when he woke up. He took it easy in the morning but decided he still wanted to try to leave friday night, as planned. We drove up that afternoon,  but he had a hard time sleeping friday night due to the pain in his back and legs. On Saturday morning he woke up with the same pain and decided to go to a chiropractor. He felt great for about 4 hours. He took Ryder skiing and Ry was actually skiing for the first time. Ramey was so excited to be able to teach Ry. As soon as Ramey was done, he got back to the car and looked at me and said, "You have to drive babe, I cant feel my legs." Saturday night the pain continued. He was having a hard time getting comfortable. He woke me up at 1:00am and said, "Its time to go babe, something is wrong." 
We spent the night and day on Sunday at Barton Hospital in South Lake Tahoe doing tests. We did x-rays, a CT scan, a few MRI's, blood work, etc. They didnt find anything wrong.  After 18 hours in the ER, they transfered us to Renown hospital in Reno. As they suspected it may be something Neurological. We spent the first 3 days under going more tests. On tuesday an S.S.E.P (nerve conduction test) and Wednesday an E.M.G, where the neurologist determinted it was a rare disease called GBS (Guillian-Barre Syndrome) (AIDP). At that time we had very mixed emotions. We were relieved, but scared.
This is an auto immune disease where his immune system has attacked his nervous syestem. The disease needs to run its course. 
On Thursday night (nearly one week after this began) he was having trouble breathing. Most of the muscles in his body had stopped working and his lungs had been one of the last to go. He was moved from the Neuro department to ICU on Saturday morning. He was placed on a ventilator to breathe for him, and also got a feeding tube on Thursday. 
Saturday morning (Jan 31)he was sedated to get him on the ventilator with as much comfort as possible. He woke up at 2:00 pm on Saturday afternoon. It was relieving to see his beautiful blue eyes. By Saturday afternoon, he could blink, nod his head, and squeeze your hand, and by Saturday night he could give you a good ol' Ramey thumbs up.
As the reality of the situation sets in, Ramey was our only source of income, as I have been home raising our 6 month old baby, and 6 year old boy. This is very difficult and very humbling, but realize we cant do this on our own. His recovery will take anywhere from 1-3 years.  We are grateful for any donation, small or large, to help us get thru this difficult time. Thank you all so much for your love and support. It means the world.

~ Much love,
Lindsay, Ryder, Keaton

In the first words of Ramey, that he has communicated thus far, "We will get thru this together."


Lindsay Jamieson
Boulder Creek, CA

Your easy, powerful, and trusted home for help

  • Easy

    Donate quickly and easily.

  • Powerful

    Send help right to the people and causes you care about.

  • Trusted

    Your donation is protected by the  GoFundMe Giving Guarantee.