We are the Queer Pride Groningen committee, formed of representatives from various activist, feminist and queer organizations and associations in and around Groningen. The reason that we are hosting Queer Pride is because we are unsatisfied with the way that many Prides around the country are organized. Often, this is to the detriment of marginalized groups within the LGBTQ community, such as trans people, queer and trans people of colour, and so on - and instead, focused on a cisheteronormative white audience. To address this, Queer Pride Groningen will try to be as inclusive as possible and to avoid committing any harm. We therefore have four main principles:
1. No corporate involvement - we don't want to be sponsored by capitalist organizations that do not actively support marginalized communities (but instead often oppress them, purposefully or not).
2. Inclusive approach - we want to approach Pride bearing in mind the most marginalized voices within the LGBTQ community. This means that we will not include racist, right-wing, capitalist or pink-washing individuals or groups. Instead, we will attempt to provide a safe space for marginalized groups within the local LGBTQ community.
3. Pride as a protest - Pride started as a protest for LGBTQ rights. As LGBTQ people are still oppressed and marginalized, the protest nature of Pride will be central to our Pride event.
4. Community-focused - we aim for our Pride to be organized by and for LGBTQ people and to shape and guide a local LGBTQ community that cares about active inclusion.
✊ WHY DO WE NEED FUNDS?
Because we are community-focused and anti-corporate, we obviously won't be taking sponsorships and donations from companies and pinkwashing organizations. This is a major source of income for most Prides. Instead, we hope to raise ethical funds as much as possible.
✊ WHAT WILL WE USE THE FUNDS FOR?
- To compensate our speakers and performers and pay their travel to/from the event - To be able to hire sound equipment for speakers/performers - To buy high-visibility vests for traffic controllers during the March - For flags and a banner - For flyers and posters - To provide a thank-you brunch for volunteers - To secure a safe venue for the Pride party - To ensure access to the Pride party for those who were involved in the March
These are our aims. Note: if we do not raise enough funds, we might not be able to successfully implement all of these.